[ncdnhc-discuss] Board Positions on .ORG

Cade,Marilyn S - LGA mcade at att.com
Fri Apr 5 07:41:29 CEST 2002

Let me seek some clarification.

Here's my understanding.

The board resolution allows for profit entities to bid, as well as not for profit, as recommended by the TF/NC supported policy recommendation.  So that is a change from the TF/NC recommendation. It doesn't deny the recommendation; it expands it.

The for profit bids don't quality for the $5m established by Verisign as a "transitional support" [my words, not theirs].  Not for profit bids do qualify. The Board resolution doesn't address that, and indeed has no power to change that reality.

Criteria about reliability, performance, etc. would apply across any bid.  Nothing changed.

The board seems to be free to consider both kinds of bids, but not bound to chose one over the other, other things being equal. A change from the TF resolution/NC recommendation, but one which provides an extended option;  not one which eliminates the TF/NC recommendation.

The board is probably thus assured of getting both kinds of bids, other things being equal.

The NC's policy recommendation included a review of the RFP with the NC/one round only.

I have seen no indication that the staff wouldn't do that review. Like others, I would like for that review to take place. For my part, I promise to be civil, organized, courteous, and helpful in my comments. I am sure others on the NC will do the same. Oh, yeah. I promise to be timely. That's actually harder for me, but I consider it an essential pledge.

So, here's my view:  Credible, sustainable, workable 'competitive' bids are needed. Assurance of stability for existing registrants; while development of policy for future registrants is also needed.

If we start with an agreement that successful outcomes are needed which deliver 'competitive' sustainable bids from a range of players, but that 'competitive' includes ensuring stability for existing registrants, we may get to common ground more quickly.

In my mind, the staff needs to move ahead with RFP development. They, and then the respondents, have a ticking clock.

Let's not let the art of the perfect outcome be the enemy of the good and productive and timely outcome...... now, I know that isn't QUITE right, so don't bother flame me JUST on that difference in wording.

I expect a review with the NC-- I expect to have it happen.

Was I disappointed that there was no discussion between ICANN staff and the NC about the lack of understanding in certain areas. You bet.  Was I a little unhappy to hear that they needed clarification first at the Accra meeting. Of course. BUT, responsibilty for communication is two sided.  We didn't schedule a review discussion with the staff.  I assume my share of responsibilty for this failure to suggest that there needed to a staff/NC discussion.  We, the NC, should have scheduled a dialogue. They, the Staff, should also have thought to ask us for clarification. Let's give each other a "break".

Look, we are all new at this; the constituency reps are turning over with elections when they occur; new folks are coming into the policy making arena ... and everybody does the best they can.  An old adage.. of successful managers: assume that the employee is doing the best they can, and then, you can help them do better.... Lots of people need help to do better. WE, the NC, needed help to do better. We are volunteers. We overlooked the need to ask for and schedule a discussion with the staff. Ditto for the staff.  oops, on both parts. Now, some will spend their time flaming me about the practicality of this approach. Being more blame and flame... :-)

For me, I'd like to suggest:  let's move on; learn from this, and ask for an assurance that the RFC will be presented to the NC for comment and commit that we have a very short turn around.

..... That shouldn't be hard to commit to...and moves all balls forward.

Marilyn Cade