[ncdnhc-discuss] Fw: [council] GAC and country name reservations

Milton Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sun Sep 30 19:12:06 CEST 2001

YJ:
Here are the three points that Philip proposed:
- urging caution on the GAC in taking this step,
- point out that dot info is but the start of a TLD
expansion and something much more interesting for
countries could be possible
- propose that WIPO is the best place for discussion
on geographical names.

I support the general thrust of what Philip
proposes. I don't think he is calling for
reservations of names in non-Latin scripts.
On the contrary, he is proposing that the DNSO
should criticise the ICANN board and GAC for making
a policy on this too rapidly.

I have some reservations about asking WIPO to
rule on geographic names, but on the whole I
think we want to pull together with other DNSO
constituencies on this.

But other members, please do give us your views.