[ncdnhc-discuss] U.S. Congress plans hearings for .kidsproposal

Dany Vandromme vandrome at renater.fr
Wed Oct 24 10:06:04 CEST 2001

Adam Peake wrote:

> If there's to be a .kids, then as a proof of concept and as a
> compromise (sounds like Markey and Shimkus will not give up easily on
> this) it should be tried as a second level under .us rather than as a
> global TLD.
>
> As a TLD forced on the world by two US politicians .kids is a bad
> idea. Under .us, I personally, as a non US citizen, don't feel I have
> any right to object, and the proof of concept might be useful.
>
> (fwiw)
>
> Adam
-
I fully agree with Adam. ICANN role is not to solve US problems. I would
not think that US Congressmen should be allowed to influence TLD process
at all.
As a SLD, why not, as far as it remains a US concern. But Proof of
Concept will be useful.
Dany
-

> >A subcommittee of the United States House of Representatives is planning to
> >hold hearings on Thursday, October 25, 2001 regarding a "Dot Kids Domain
> >Name Act." This bill, H.R. 2417, was introduced by two United States
> >Congressmen, John Shimkus and Ed Markey, and would force the Internet
> >Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers to approve a "kid-friendly
> >domain" first before any other domains can be introduced.
> >
> >See
> >http://www.internetdemocracyproject.org/#highlights
> >
> >Sincerely,
> >Christopher Chiu
> >Global Internet Liberty Campaign Organizer
> >American Civil Liberties Union

Dany VANDROMME                    |  Directeur du GIP RENATER

                Reseau National de Telecommunications
         pour la Technologie, l'Enseignement et la Recherche

                                  |  ENSAM
Tel   :  +33 (0)1 53 94 20 30     |  151 Boulevard de l'Hopital
Fax   :  +33 (0)1 53 94 20 31     |  75013 Paris
E-mail: Dany.Vandromme at renater.fr |  FRANCE