[ncdnhc-discuss] Esther Dyson on the Agenda Change

Perpétus Jacques Houngbo jacques at orumila.com
Mon Oct 15 19:44:32 CEST 2001

> What is most significant in your exchange is that you choose to pursue an
> ad hominem, rather than respond to the content of my note.
>
> Let me make that content more clear:
>
> You are making suggestions that we pursue activities that have nothing at
> all to do with ICANN's scope of work.
>
> To the extent that you disagree with this assessment, please
> explain how to
> take the broad topics that you list and find ways for ICANN to have any
> effect on them.

OK. The style seems to have been changed so, let us go ahead.
The purpose of (NCDNHC) "is to support noncommercial speech and activity on
the Internet — and to protect the domain names under which that speech is
placed". We can agree that a lot of those "organizations involved in
community networking, community organizing, promotion of the arts,
children's welfare, religion, education, scientific research, human rights
and many other areas" are also concerned by some divides, mainly digital
divide. That is why I think that it does not hurt "if every ICANN or
govenance proposition includes a small part explaining how help reducing the
financial, lingual and digital divide". NCDNHC is concerned by saving space
for not for profit sector on the Internet, if we can help in any way to
bridge digital divide, we will reinforce that space. I would like to add
that both the NAIS and the AtLarge Study have raised many problems not
directly related to "ICANN's scope of work" but mainly related to
participation in the Internet.
Just one more thing. At the Stockholm meeting, we have voted the Resolution
for ICANN budget. The item N°2 of that resolution is "Translation Services"
which is far from "ICANN's scope of work". Maybe we were wrong since that
time...

Jacques