[ncdnhc-discuss] Limit email sending....

Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law froomkin at law.miami.edu
Wed Nov 28 00:18:17 CET 2001

I don't approve of posting limits.  If we have to have posting limits, I'd
prefer them to be simple, clear, objective (e.g. number of post per day).
A larger, but not infinite, limit for Adcom members strikes me as
essential.

I oppose content-based rules as too costly to enforce, the cause of
time-wasting debate (such as this), and -- not least -- wrong in
principle.

The ideal limit would be mechanized (e.g. hold posts over the limit from
one address until some time had passed, or -- better yet-- return them to
sender).  Procmail can do this if we use a unix-based mail server.  It
should not be 'selectively' enforced.  If you want to temper justice with
mercy, write a routine that sends a warning for the first N offenses in a
given time period before implementing the guillotine.

In general, if the rule can't be described in pseudo-code that would run
without a human in the loop [regardless of how one actually plans to
implement it, which is a separate problem], then it's a bad bad bad rule.

--
		Please visit http://www.icannwatch.org
A. Michael Froomkin   |    Professor of Law    |   froomkin at law.tm
                        -->It's warm here.<--