[ncdnhc-discuss] FYI

Dany Vandromme vandrome at renater.fr
Sat Nov 24 08:12:06 CET 2001

Kent Crispin wrote:

> After a very careful review of the current NCC charter at
> http://198.6.250.8/docs/charter/drafts/20000921.html, the BC charter,
> the ICANN bylaws, the history, and discussion with various people, it is
> clear that there are in fact no restrictions on whom a legitimate member
> organization of the NCC may designate as their voting representative in
> the constituency.  In fact it is strictly illegitimate, not to mention
> completely contrary to the principles of openness and inclusiveness so
> important to ICANN, for the NCC to arbitrarily dictate to member
> organizations whom they may select as their representative.  Nor are
> there any legitimate purposes consistent with the ICANN bylaws, in
> spirit and in fact, that would be served by such restrictions -- for
> example, it is in fact quite possible, and reasonable, that members of a
> non-commercial organization might feel that their interests were best
> represented by someone who happened to have a commercial involvement in
> the Internet.
>
> Songbird is a small company that is a member of the BC; I am the voting
> representative of Songbird in the BC; the "Potter-Yachters" is a
> legitimate and established member of the NCC; until such time that there
> are contrary indications in the charter, and that charter has been
> approved by ICANN, I intend to remain their voting representative in the
> NCC.
-
Kent,
Despite all rethoric to will have time to put on the list, I keep challenging.
I consider that you cannot be a voting member rep in the BC and also a
voting member rep in the NCC without experiencing any conflict of
interest.
Therefore, for the next vote (most probably for the MdR resolution
approval), I will ask the AdCom to leave Potter Yachter with a
non-voting status in the NCDNHC. You are still welcome to ask Potter
Yachter to designate someone else to be its NCDNHC rep. In such case, I
am sure you will be attentive that this new rep will have a real
autonomy to vote!

Remark holds also for FRAX.

Dany
-

> Kent
>
> --
> Kent Crispin                               "Be good, and you will be
> kent at songbird.com                           lonesome." -- Mark Twain

Dany VANDROMME                    |  Directeur du GIP RENATER

                Reseau National de Telecommunications
         pour la Technologie, l'Enseignement et la Recherche

                                  |  ENSAM
Tel   :  +33 (0)1 53 94 20 30     |  151 Boulevard de l'Hopital
Fax   :  +33 (0)1 53 94 20 31     |  75013 Paris
E-mail: Dany.Vandromme at renater.fr |  FRANCE