[ncdnhc-discuss] Membership Status ofSiliconValleyPublicAccess Link

Kent Crispin kent at songbird.com
Mon Nov 5 22:01:29 CET 2001

On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 10:39:37AM -0800, Dave Crocker wrote:
[...]
> In any event, rules should be formally adopted.  Here we have a case of a
> rule that goes beyond the charter AND the rule was never formally adopted.

Perhaps more to the point, the quoted text from Dany actually refers to
a very different situation: that where an individual is a
*representative* of some organization in some other constituency.  The
concern was whether Kent Crispin can simultaneously be the
representative of Songbird in the BC and the representative of the
Potter Yachters in the NCC.  There are many ways that still-unsettled
situation could resolve: either organization could chose another rep --
Songbird could select someone else to be the Songbird rep to the BC.
Songbird can select whatever rep it wants, as can the potter yachters.

(I say "still unsettled" because the issue is unsettled among the two
organizations involved -- I'm not sure I want to be the BC rep for
Songbird.)

> In fact, there is no formal statement of the rule.  Hence it appears that
> the rule is whatever Milton decides to make it, and it can vary from one
> day to the next. Such rules are entirely "subjective" and they are applied
> inconsistently
>
> Our charter is not final, and that is good, because it is seriously
> deficient.  It lacks significant sections about procedures.

As the current brouhaha shows, it is so seriously deficient that a
reasonable case can be made that ICANN should no longer recognize it.

--
Kent Crispin                               "Be good, and you will be
kent at songbird.com                           lonesome." -- Mark Twain