[ncdnhc-discuss] Membership Status ofSiliconValleyPublicAccess Link

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Mon Nov 5 19:39:37 CET 2001

At 03:10 AM 11/6/2001 +0900, Chun Eung Hwi wrote:
>This is not my words but Dany's. Due to this reason, we recommended the
>applied organization to change their representative. And if not, we have
>not yet accepted their application. - It's the case of FRAX.

Chun,

Please forgive my confusion.  I was not aware that Dany established policy
for this constituency.  Nor was I aware that his email postings were
sufficient to create formal policy.

>In reading your argument, I feel that your idea of charter seems quite
>different from mine. I think charter is only saying very basic elements
>and it is not a law for punishing but guides its spirit.

A charter specifies scope and it creates authority.  The authority is so
action can be taken; the scope is to limit the actions that can be taken. A
charter specifies what is permitted and can also specify what is NOT
permitted. All rules that are made are supposed to conform to the charter.
Rules that invent new policy are supposed to be made part of the charter.

In any event, rules should be formally adopted.  Here we have a case of a
rule that goes beyond the charter AND the rule was never formally adopted.

In fact, there is no formal statement of the rule.  Hence it appears that
the rule is whatever Milton decides to make it, and it can vary from one
day to the next. Such rules are entirely "subjective" and they are applied
inconsistently

Our charter is not final, and that is good, because it is seriously
deficient.  It lacks significant sections about procedures.

d/