[ncdnhc-discuss] Membership Status ofSiliconValleyPublicAccess Link

Chun Eung Hwi ehchun at peacenet.or.kr
Mon Nov 5 19:10:25 CET 2001

Dear Vany,

> I want to add that our charter doesn't prevent that a delegate to the
> NCDNHC from his/her organization works also independently as whatever
> they want in whatever commercial, government, non-commercial business,
> etc whether has ICANN interests or not.  The only warning NCDNHC
> charter makes reference is when such delegate in the NCDNHC is also
> delegate in other constituency.  Dave Crocker is not representing any
> other interest inside ICANN.  Then, as such there's no reason why
> challenge him as a delegate by his organization in the NCDNHC.

"To be consistent with the current charter, and avoid any conflict of
interest for the individual representing an organisation in the NCDNHC,
the concerned organisation has the responsability to propose another
representative for NCDNHC."
(http://www.icann-ncc.org/pipermail/announce/2001-October/000082.html)
This is not my words but Dany's. Due to this reason, we recommended the
applied organization to change their representative. And if not, we have
not yet accepted their application. - It's the case of FRAX.

> If Milton, Chun, or anyone wants to modify the by-laws, I think that
> instead of challenging sitautions about memberships and delegations
> that are not specified in NCDNHC charter, they should follow the
> proper procedures for charter modification.

In reading your argument, I feel that your idea of charter seems quite
different from mine. I think charter is only saying very basic elements
and it is not a law for punishing but guides its spirit. As you know it,
in most non-governmental organizations, people abide by their charter as
their self-discipline guideline. As far as the issue of "conflicts of
interests" are concerned, what works in usual case is that people
concerned with it decline from their position for themselves. We believe
that this self-discipline principle could be held, but if not, we should
find out some other way.

> This kind of attacks doesn't make any good to the NCDNHC, and specially
> prevents that people with the spirit, courage and knowledge, participate
> constructively in the NCDNHC.

I cannot understand what you are saying by attacks. If you read my
sentences, you could find out that I have never talked about somebody -
it's only general statements. This expression of "attack" make flaming.

Regards,

Chun Eung Hwi
Chun Eung Hwi
General Secretary, PeaceNet | phone:     (+82) 2- 583-3033
Seoul Yangchun P.O.Box 81   |   pcs:     (+82) 019-259-2667
Seoul, 158-600, Korea       | eMail:   ehchun at peacenet.or.kr