[Fwd: Re: [ncdnhc-discuss] Proposed amendments to Security resolution] (fwd)

Alejandro Pisanty - CUAED y FQ, UNAM apisan at servidor.unam.mx
Thu Nov 1 18:22:35 CET 2001

Milton,

coming back to the Security/Stability proposed resolution:

Milton Mueller wrote:

> MUELLER-AMENDED RESOLUTION ON SECURITY
>
> Recent, tragic events have heightened the need to
> assess the security of the Internet's centrally
> coordinated resources, and the need for strong
> international cooperation for this purpose.

OK.

> The Internet's robustness relies largely on its distributed, decentralized nature, but

**here I take (substantive) exception to the use of "but". Propose
following text:

The Internet's robustness relies largely on its distributed,
decentralized nature.

> ICANN is responsible for central coordination of
> key resources critical to its operation; namely,
> domain names, Internet addresses, and protocol
> parameters.

In the next paragraph I think you get the technology wrong. The root
servers *are* distributed and
diverse, and protecting them is a separate (nonetheless important)
issue. What we are talking about
is the DNS as a whole, and that in turn includes operations on it like
assigning names, finding out
about contacts, etc.

> The centralization of key resources,
> particularly DNS root servers, represents a potential
> point of attack that must be secured against threats.

*so the above paragraph ^^^^^^^ goes. In exchange:

Ensuring the stability and security of the DNS, the IP allocation
system, and other central resources
within ICANN's deliberately limited purview, is a responsibility shared
by all organizations within
ICANN.

> The non-commercial organizations and entities
> represented in the Non-Commercial Domain-Name
> Holders Constituency (NCDNHC) of ICANN's DNSO
> may be less able to recover from disruptions in
> their operations caused by attacks on the DNS.

OK.

> Many non-commercial interests in the DNS and
> IP allocation system are in universities and
> research institutes with high levels of technical expertise. Many others, however, have very
> limited financial and technical resources
> to train for defense and prevention of attacks or
> to recover from a crisis.
>
> Because the expertise embodied in non-commercial
> organizations is usually more accessible to
> a wider community and not restricted to
> proprietary interests, academic and other
> non-commercial organizations may be optimal
> points for the diffusion of knowledge about
> threats to the security of the systems under
> ICANN's administration.
>
> Therfore the NCDNHC calls upon the Names Council,
> the ASO, the PSO, the ICANN Board, and Education and
> Research Networks throughout the world to promptly
> assess the threats to the security of the resources
> under ICANN's coordination, and to establish measures
> to address these threats, their avoidance, and the
> minimization or avoidance of the collateral damage
> they may produce, in order that non-commercial
> organizations with limited technical, human and
> financial resources can be protected from such
> threats, and have affordable access to preventive

*changed "preventative" to "preventive"

> measures.
>
> Further, the NCDNHC calls upon its
> technically strong members and their peers
> to aid ICANN in the aforementioned effort
> to assess the threats to the security

*and stability* - remember, we are speaking of continuing operations.
This includes not only the
concept of security, as protection against threats, but also recovery,
and this in turn may have
far-reaching implications. Decisions in this sphere tend to be
many-layered, require cooperation of
diverse parties, and also require triage and prioritization of actions.

> of the
> DNS and address allocation system and to
> provide the community with their expertise.
> The NCDNHC organization representatives will
> call on people from their communities to
> provide further assistance.
>
> The NCDNHC offers the technical and policy
> expertise of its members, the high standing of
> some of them in their societies, and the
> intercultural experience of the constituency
> to the process of assessing and securing
> the security of the resources under ICANN's
> administration.

OK.

Are we converging?

Yours,