[Fwd: Re: [ncdnhc-discuss] Proposed amendments to Security resolution] (fwd)

Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law froomkin at law.miami.edu
Thu Nov 1 19:50:15 CET 2001

Mostly I quite like this.  One substantial quibble.

I don't think the "DNS" as a whole *is* within ICANN's perview.  Large
parts are outside - the standards, which are RFC's from the IETF, the
distributed caches, which are a mix of public and private machines
distributed over the planet, etc..  ICANN makes rules for the *assignment*
of *top-level* names in the DNS.  What else does it (legitimately) do for
the DNS?

Similarly, a lot of IP allocation actually happens at a layer 'below' or
parallel to ICANN, the RIRs.

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Alejandro Pisanty - CUAED y FQ, UNAM wrote:

> > ICANN is responsible for central coordination of
> > key resources critical to its operation; namely,
> > domain names, Internet addresses, and protocol
>
> *so the above paragraph ^^^^^^^ goes. In exchange:
>
> Ensuring the stability and security of the DNS, the IP allocation

Thus, I have trouble with the one line above, but not the lines below.

> system, and other central resources
> within ICANN's deliberately limited purview, is a responsibility shared
> by all organizations within
> ICANN.

How about,

Ensuring the stability and security of those portions of the DNS, the IP
allocation system, and other central resources within ICANN's deliberately
limited purview is a responsibility shared by all organizations within ICANN.

?

[I also moved commas to conform to my rigid and rather old-fashioned ideas
of how formal english should be organized.]

--
		Please visit http://www.icannwatch.org
A. Michael Froomkin   |    Professor of Law    |   froomkin at law.tm
                 -->It's very hot and humid here.<--