[ncdnhc-discuss] About Marketing Practices in .ORG

Kent Crispin kent at songbird.com
Fri Dec 28 08:19:08 CET 2001

On Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 09:57:51PM -0500, Milton Mueller wrote:
> This is the silliest argument I've seen
> in this entire debate. ORG is unrestricted
> now, and has been for all of the time Internet
> has been open to the public. 99% of all ORG
> registrants entered the domain without any
> restriction. So ORG's "current character"
> got that way in an unrestricted environment.

The post divestment environment will be substantially different: the new
registry operator for .org will be thrust into a fiercely competitive
environment, whether it likes it or not.  Without some kind of
sponsor/charter, there is nothing to keep .org from becoming a heavily
marketed commercial TLD.

> It's the advocates of restriction that want
> to change it.

You seem ignorant of a critical bit of information: .org is about to
undergo substantial change in management and environment.  It is highly
unlikely that it will continue on the same path unless some effort is
expended to keep it there.

--
Kent Crispin                               "Be good, and you will be
kent at songbird.com                           lonesome." -- Mark Twain