[ncdnhc-discuss] About Marketing Practices in .ORG

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Fri Dec 28 09:48:12 CET 2001

At 11:19 PM 12/27/2001 -0800, Kent Crispin wrote:
>   Without some kind of
>sponsor/charter, there is nothing to keep .org from becoming a heavily
>marketed commercial TLD.

let's see if I've got this right:

You are not suggesting restrictions on REGISTRANTS in .org.

Rather, you are suggesting that the restrictions on .org be restrictions on
the REGISTRY and on its REGISTRARS, to PREVENT marketing the domain?  That
is, to prevent registry and registrar efforts that would force .org into
the marketing mold of a commercial gTLD like .com?

I sure hope that IS what you meant, because it strikes me as a very
interesting idea.

My guess is that it will be compatible with the long history of the domain,
so it will cause no discomfort for existing registrants, and it will
eliminate marketing practises that run contrary to the intent of .org.

d/