[ncdnhc-discuss] IMPORTANT: Need guidance from you regarding .org

Jim Fleming jfleming at anet.com
Fri Dec 14 01:21:38 CET 2001

Can one assume....???

1. .ORG registrations will be FREE....as in $$$ FREE
and the non-profit will rely on donations, as most non-profits do.

2. .ORG will be like /MNT on Linux and Unix...a convienant
place to "mount" other things....those other things being the new
TLDs which will be able to be added with the new Lame-D servers.
In other words, .ORG will be a behind the scenes TLD mostly hidden
by software that just uses it to wire other structures into the DNS.
With .ORG being FREE as in $$$ FREE, it could be like dot, the root.
Since ICANN Management has said there will not be any more TLDs,
it appears that such a device will be needed. As an example, XXX.ORG
would be the legacy mount point for the XXX TLD. The .ORG would
be tossed or viewed as ORGY, whichever people want to think and
whichever way software people program their systems.

3. If 2 will not be likely, then the -DLD.com approach will likely be
the best way to wire into the legacy (restricted) IPv4 DNS. Using the
.XXX example, people register under -XXX.com and the Lame-D
servers will map strings with .XXX to look-ups in -XXX.com. When
the pair of nameservers are returned, the owner can then resolve the
.XXX zone on their nameservers. It looks like this approach will be
needed with .BIZ, because neither of the IPv4 .BIZ Registries are
fully functional.

4. .ORG appears to be the only hope for a NON TLD, a dead TLD
which is assumed to be a catch-all for many of the uses TLDs were
needed for, but which the ICANN Board and Staff do not understand.
There is more to the DNS than web-sites. .ORG appears to be a
good choice to use for the miscellaneous uses, give that G0,G1,...G7
will not likely be allowed in the legacy root servers.

Jim Fleming
http://www.DOT-BIZ.com
http://www.Register-BIZ.com
http://www.BIZ-Registry.com