[ncdnhc-discuss] ORG policy - discussion with Touton

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Tue Dec 11 01:59:20 CET 2001

Councillors:

I just had a long conversation with Louis Touton. I think
he now understands the rationale behind the Task Force
proposal better, and I understand the substance of his
objections better. The main difference is that the TF
viewed "sponsorship" as a continuum whereas Touton
viewed it more as an either-or. It seems clear to me (but
of course I cannot speak for Touton) that the sponsored,
unrestricted concept is legally and practically viable if we
make a few modifications. It is also possible that similar
policy objectives could be achieved via an unsponsored,
unrestricted model. My preference is still for the "sponsored, unrestricted" framework, but the important thing is the policy
objectives and not the label. Which way forward we take
depends on discussions within the Names Council.

The issues that need to be addressed are:
a) Do commercial registrants have the same rights within
the sponsoring organization's governance structure as
noncommercial registrants?
b) Should newORG be given the authority to develop a
differentiated WHOIS policy?
c) What specific authority over registrar qualification
and/or practices are we giving newORG?
d) Should we try to achieve the same policy objectives
via an unsponsored, unrestricted domain?

If the first three of these questions are resolved in
certain ways, all doubts about the "sponsored" status of
newORG should be resolved.

The ORG TF is clearly the place to answer these questions,
but I strongly recommend that it be required to address
only the specific issues laid out above, and that it be required
to do so on a fixed (and very short) timeline.

What follows is a more detailed analysis of the issues still
facing us. I hope you all have time to read it(!)

a)	Scope of representation.
A sponsored TLD serves a defined community. Touton's opinion
charges that the "affected community" proposed by the ORG
Task Force "is unbounded." This is not correct. The policy calls
for the Sponsoring Organizations (SOs) to define the noncommercial
registrants community to be served by the .org TLD. It provides
specific guidelines regarding how that community is to be defined.
It requires the SO to develop marketing and promotion policies suited
to that bounded community. It requires the SO to be representative
of that community in its governance structures, and to provide
financial and other forms of support to help that community
participate in ICANN processes.

Louis' objection arises because the policy recommends that the
SO regulate entry into the domain indirectly, via marketing and
promotion policies and the relationship with registrars, instead of
directly. In his opinion, a refusal to enforce eligibility restrictions
means that the eligible community is unbounded. I still believe
that this is simply too rigid a view. There are ways to define a
bounded community other than erecting barbed-wire fences and
engaging in systematic "domain ethnic cleansing." The TF
chose an incentive-oriented approach that tries to make .org
attractive to the appropriate community and discourages
marketing practices that attract inappropriate registrations.
This was a practical trade-off that we found justified by the
peculiar situation of .org, which has so many legacy
registrations and the amorphousness of "noncommercial"
as a descriptor.

There is clearly no practical problem with that approach -
indeed, the alternative (actively policing eligibility) is far
more difficult to define and implement.

I think I got Louis to agree that actively restricting eligibility
to register is only one of many possible delegations of authority
to a sponsor, and that it need not be present for a domain
to qualify as "sponsored" as long as there are other significant
delegations.

Which leads to:

b)	Scope of delegation
A sponsored TLD is delegated more authority over policy for
the domain than an unsponsored TLD. Louis lists 6 broad
categories of delegated authority. Of those, two (A and E)
apply only to new TLDs and thus are inapplicable to this case.
(There is no startup problem and no possibility of imposing
naming conventions on an existing, highly populated space.)
Of the remaining four, the proposed .ORG policy takes specific
positions in two areas (selection and supervision of the registry
operator, and practices of registrars and terms of dealing).

The TF also discussed doing something different from the
norm on WHOIS policies (item F), but certain constituencies
preferred that we not do so. I personally, and most members
of my constituency, would like to see newORG have the
authority to create its own WHOIS policy. If the Task Force is
willing to reopen this issue I would be amenable.

I agree with Louis, however, that there is ambiguity in the
report regarding how registrars are treated. We proposed
that prospective sponsoring organizations be open to all ICANN
accredited registrars, and that the Sponsor be concerned only
with the way .org is marketed by them. The Task Force
deliberately chose to leave it open to applicants to propose
methods to enforce the appropriate marketing policies,
articulating only a general admonition that the proposed methods
"promote and enhance differentiation while minimizing
bureaucracy, enforcement costs, and restrictions on registrars."

Louis argues convincingly that to qualify as a sponsored
domain, the Task Force must recommend stronger policies
regarding registrar qualification. E.g., the new ORG must
be able to "qualify" registrars and or specify certain
practices they must conform to to be eligible to register
names.

Section III
In this section, Louis argues that everything we are trying
to achieve via sponsorship could be achieved more easily
by making ORG an unsponsored domain and imposing policy
guidelines on to whom it is delegated. For example, policy
can specify that the registry operator be non-profit rather
than for-profit, that it be delegated to an organization with
an acceptable marketing plan focused on the appropriate
community.

The idea of making org an unsponsored domain makes
most noncommercial constituency members uncomfortable.
Calling it a sponsored domain sends a strong signal to the
applicant pool that a successful applicant must have a clear
definition of the relevant community it will focus on, a
community of which it will be representative and to which it
will be accountable. While we could write policies that apply
these criteria to an "unsponsored" registry operator, the
intent seems more aligned with the sponsored model. I believe
that the emphasis on sponsorship gives the Board clearer
guidelines in selecting applicants. Also, an unsponsored domain
would have a weaker ability, and possibly no ability, to
influence the marketing policies of registrars.