[ncdnhc-discuss] ICANN committee recommends voting restrictions,fewerAt-Large di rectors

Barbara Simons simons at acm.org
Wed Aug 29 21:02:09 CEST 2001

Dear George,

Not only do I not like the tone used by Crocker and Crispin -
I find it offensive and juvenile.  When I give in and respond to
some outrageous claim made by one of them, I usually regret
it afterwards.  They are a destructive force, both because of
their lack of civility and the frequency of their postings.  I agree
with Milton that people should not respond to them, and I
apologize to the list for having broken my own rule by responding,
yet again (sigh).

Regarding your comments, while it's true that it's difficult to define
the public interest, I claim that the at-large is the closest thing we
have for representing those interests.  Surely, the supporting
organizations do not represent the public, nor do they claim to.

After the election, several of us asked ICANN to assist us with
increasing the membership of the at-large and opening channels
of communications within that community.  Our recommendations
were treated with derision publicly by one prominent staff member,
and otherwise ignored by ICANN.

Now the argument is made that the at-large is not adequately large
or representative.  Of course it's not.  All outreach attempts have
been soundly squelched.

I feel betrayed by the ALSC report.  I felt sick when I read it,
and I feel angry now.  If implemented, I am convinced that it
will destroy any hopes that we have had for democratic input
into ICANN.  A minority that is too small even to prevent the
passage of bylaw amendments is a powerless minority.  That is
the sop given to the at-large community, and as far as I can
tell, it is a cynical attempt to cover up the total destruction of
public input into ICANN.

I'm going to bow out of this discussion for now, because I don't
have the time to invest in it.

Regards,
Barbara