[ncdnhc-discuss] ICANN committee recommends voting restrictions,fewerAt-Large di rectors

George Sadowsky George.Sadowsky at attglobal.net
Wed Aug 29 20:37:52 CEST 2001

All,

I fail to understand why advocating a careful reading of a document
before discussing it is a denial of anything.   I thought Alejandro's
response was a measured, neutral, and sensible comment.

True denial is ignoring what Dave Crocker and Kent Crispin are
saying.  You may not like the tone they use, or the tactics to get
your attention, but to deny the content of what they say is extremely
shortsighted.   Furthermore, it comes from years of experience
working in the Internet community in a number of different roles.
That experience deserves considerably more respect than this group
gives it.

Barbara, I appreciate your intervention, I would agree that the
public interest is not a special interest group, but let's disabuse
ourselves of the myth that the current membership of ICANN, and even
the future membership for a long time to come (if ever), represents
the public interest.  The public interest is very difficult to
define.  You can, of course, define it by majority vote, but that
assumes adequate and appropriate representation of the relevant
subset of the public, an informed electorate, and a responsible
exercise of choice by their elected representatives.  And in this
case, the relevant subset of the population is a concept over which
there is substantial disagreement.

ICANN is NOT Internet governance; it's Internet administration in a
narrow sense.  the majority of Internet administration occurs in a
decentralized manner, along with other coordinating groups such as
NANOG.  I think Kent has it exactly right when he says:

>  The "public" simply does not care about DNS policy; to the
>"public" DNS policy is an extremely obscure, boring, and uninteresting
>topic.

Internet administration has both a technical and a policy component.
I care a lot about the policy issues, and in my current position
we're working to help developing countries develop "good" policy  --
policy that allows the Internet to spread as rapidly as possible in a
manner that is accessible, affordable, and unfiltered.   But
technical issues ARE important, and administrative experience based
upon that technical experience is a valuable commodity, while policy
based upon ignorance of technical issues is likely to be
fundamentally flawed,  I think that this group does not believe this.

In the IETF, there are compelling reasons to come to rough consensus
on technical issues, and the process works quite well on the whole.
In this arena, there is no compelling reason to come to consensus; in
fact, there appears to be a perception of strength in continuing to
hold positions that are incompatible.

One might even ask to what extent the composition of this
constituency is in any way representative of the enormously large
global community of organizations that it purports to represent.  The
vast, vast majority of  not-for-profit organizations, large and
small, are not present.  While some may not know of the constituency,
many major organizations do know of it, and they are not here.  They
have not chosen to join, which supports Kent's point.  It's not
relevant to their concerns.

Whose interests _are_ being served by the discussion on this
listserv?  The constituency's?

Regards,

George Sadowsky

At 12:40 PM -0400 8/29/01, Milton Mueller wrote:
>Chun is absolutely correct.
>
>Every time we have a vote, whether on line or in person, the
>support of the members of this constituency for greater
>representation is overwhelmingly supported, whether in
>the context of the at-large or the new individuals'
>constituency.
>
>I appeal to the REAL members of the NCDNHC on this list not
>to bother to respond or argue with Crocker or Crispin and to
>ignore the "denial" tactics of Alejandro. It is really a waste of
>time. They are not interested in exchanging ideas, only in
>obstructing our work. Don't encourage them.

George Sadowsky, Executive Director                64 Sweet Briar Road
Global Internet Policy Initiative             Stamford, CT  06905-1514
Center for Democracy and Technology               Tel: +1.203.329.3288
1634 I Street, N.W.                      George.Sadowsky at internews.org
Washington, D. C.  20006-4003          http://pws.prserv.net/sadowsky/
Tel: +1.202.637.9800
http://www.gipiproject.org/        Voice mail and fax: +1.203.547.6020

GIPI is a project of Internews & the Center for Democracy & Technology