[ncdnhc-discuss] ICANN committee recommends voting restrictions,fewer At-Large di rectors

Jefsey Morfin jefsey at wanadoo.fr
Wed Aug 29 03:57:44 CEST 2001

Dear Barbara,
At 02:42 29/08/01, Barbara Simons wrote:
>The public is NOT another special interest group!

In the Internet - like in Minitel as we learned it over
two decades - there is not public, there are participants.
Everyone is both a reader and an author. This is a very
complex thing to analyse and understand precisely.

But the first thing is - we also learned that with Minitel
and the way it was rated - the participants are those
who pay. And they pay with their "feet". When they are
not happy they go away...

>To clarify what I said in my earlier posting (sorry for
>the extra email), if the public is relegated to a minority
>position on the Board, it will in essence be disenfranchised.

Yes. There is a difference: what you ask is that no one
might trap the unanimity of the @large. Dave kids you about
hem to control the ICANN. This is why they need more than
the 1/3rd. Before the current 5 @large vote together there
will be long! So it is just their protection against manipulation.
This should be in Dave interest as long as they cannot
force a vote. This is ballancing.

>ICANN has several powerful well funded special interests;
>they will hold the vast majority of the Board seats - enough
>to guarantee that even more repressive bylaw changes can pass ...
>and the public be damned.  Yes, Dave, it is the real world
>of decision making - where money and power are all that matter.

I am afraid the real problem is that the Staff is looking for
petty survival money. These people do not know selling. They
just want to trick money in without paying taxes... The lobbysts
and GIP play them.

>Whenever someone makes a posting saying that the at-large
>should negotiate with other groups, repeat over and over again:
>
>The public is NOT another special interest group!!!

There is always more of whoever you want to consider in the
public than in the considered constituency.

Public may also decide to go away. ICANN is to foster
competition, but today it fostered competition against its
one self. I am not sure this was the best of all the moves...

Jesey