[ncdnhc-discuss] ICANN committee recommends voting restrictions,fewer At-Large di rectors

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Wed Aug 29 04:30:55 CEST 2001

At 05:42 PM 8/28/2001, Barbara Simons wrote:
>The public is NOT another special interest group!

Is it not interesting how each group always says that about itself?

It is just that sort of closed-minded trivialization, of the fact that
activities like these involve diverse interests, that makes the effort
counter-productive.

And, by the way, as the self-righteous assertions about special position
for "the public" are made, it would be helpful to ask why "the public" is
showing such a small interest in these activities, in spite of considerable
(negative) press about the topic.  It rather raises a question about the
foundation of claims made by those who purport to represent "the public".

>To clarify what I said in my earlier posting (sorry for
>the extra email), if the public is relegated to a minority
>position on the Board, it will in essence be disenfranchised.

I'm sorry, Barbara. I must have missed your response to my query about the
examples of a better model.  One that demonstrates better performance?

>Yes, Dave, it is the real world
>of decision making - where money and power are all that matter.

It's a conspiracy, Barbara.

d/

ps.  As you tout such anti-business attitudes, you might ponder where the
funding for the ACM comes from.  Don't you feel just a little bit, well,
inconsistent?