[Ncuc-af] NCUC in AIS 2018 (Online radio station)

Thato Mfikwe thatomfikwe at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 22:35:49 CET 2018

Dear colleagues,

As some of you may already know, NCUC is planning a session during AIS 2018
and I was thinking of bringing a new tool that will help NCUC members
engaged in community and ICANN activities. I have spoken aboout this with
few members including those who attended the last meeting and now need to
obtain the feedback from NCUC Africa so that we can take the idea to the
wider NCUC mailing list for adoption and comment. I believe NCUC radio will
grow the community of NCUC members and activate existing memebrs who find
it difficult to participate within ICANN or NCUC.

I therefore request for your input and comment on the idea below, to see
how we can collectively make this happen. especially in regard to:

1. How we can ensure that the online radio is as interactive, engaging and
resourceful as possible.

2. How can we contribute to the content that will be hosted on the online
radio stations.

3. Obtaining volunteers that will feed the station with information and
some to deal with programming aspects of the radio station.

4. What other alternatives, ideas or suggestions can we incorporate use to
develop this much needed platform to engage the NCUC community within
Africa, while creating an enabling environment for the African community to
participate in ICANN and the wider IG fora.

*NCUC Radio Synopsis*

NCUC Online Radio Station is an internet radio station that will be
publicly accessible online via the World Wide Web, planned to bevpiloted at
the African Internet Summit 2018 with a possible launch at any furuture
ICANN meeting.

The mandate of NCUC Online Radio Station will be to provide a voice to the
community, individuals and civic society around globe starting in Africa.

NCUC Radio Station will have a unique sound while NCUC Online Radio Shows
will have diverse programming and feature various types of Internet
Governance & Policy topics and discussions.

This Online Radio will target individuals and non-profit organizations
involved in civil liberties and human rights, Internet freedom, consumer
protection, education, research, development and many other areas of public
policy advocacy.

The programming will be hosted and produced by NCUC memebrs and strive to
be an intergenerational social space for all members of the show to engage
with each other and members of their constituencies. As part of this
mandate NCUC Online Radio Show will provide program with free community
meeting and engagement space.

As we collectively advocate for protection of the global public sphere
against excessive intellectual property restrictions and work for policies
that promote socio-economic growth and development in all areas of the
world Multilingual Internet.

The show will enable individuals, Civic Society, Users and Non-Profit
Organization to engage each other as  NCUC seeks to ensure that commercial
interests do not override the interests of non-profits and ordinary users
and support a competitive domain name industry that offers Internet users
innovation, quality and affordability.

*Proposed activities of NCUC radio*
- Live broadcast at NCUC and ICANN events (regionally and globally): mainly
discussions around ICANN PDP, strategies, objectives and the wider IG
topical issues, development and updates
- Interviews with experts, ICANN staff & community leadership, NCSG and
NCUC EC and members
- Updates on policy developments, latest developments and events in the IG
and DNS space on the interface
- Listeners will be able to post comment or directly participate in program
run on the radio station

*Note:* We can either build this platform from scratch and skilled coders
and developers will be needed or we can use an already existing platform
that might cost around $50 - 100 depending on proffered package. Also note
that ICANN is calling out for new tools that will improve on existing
activities or bring new approaches to deliver on activities. It is within
this premise that the NCUC radio be introduced at a strategic event such as
Africa Internet Summit.

Looking forward to your feedback by 8 March 2018 and should there be anyone
interested in helping strengthen, contextualise and conceptualise this
idea, please feel free to do so, alternatively you can inbox me on
thatomfikwe at gmail.com, thanks you in advance.

Thato Mfikwe.
South Africa