[Membership-affairs] Welcome to the Noncommercial Users Constituency of ICANN

Rafik Dammak rafik.dammak at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 15:14:22 CEST 2013

Hi,

> Sounds good. In new.ncuc.org we have top-level menu entry "About",
> it would fit there but it'd need a different (sub)title than
> "about us" - suggestions?
>
> maybe "who we are", "why ncuc", "WTH is the ncuc" :)

>  > to involve members effectively , we need to know their area of interests
> > and background and engage them when needed as experts for example someone
> > interested by development issues may be interested in the revival of JAS
> WG
> > while an academic can be hooked with a topic of governance
> > and accountability , a kind of information we can add to the database,
> > maybe a topic for discussion between e-team and membership affairs  and
> we
> > move step by step (and prioritise) an action plan will be helpful .
>
> Sounds good.

that is related to civicrm mentioned below

> we had also some discussion about civicrm and dave offered to help. I am
> > not advising an inflation of tools but thinking about integrated set of
> > tools that we can use frequently :
>
> > wordpress(website for organisational memory,
>
> Check.
>
> yes good work there  and as you sent emails, it is time to populate with
entry to make it lively. for example about any new statement and explaining
it in human-readable language

> project management?,
>
> Yes. We had discussion about this early on, but didn't reach
> a decision on the tool to use.

small tool is enough, maybe redmine. we are handling economy of scaricity
aka volunteers and we set many goals and objective, a small tool can help
us to track what we are doing and how we are doing it and who is doing
what. it is also help to breakdown tasks to make it more easy for people to
commit than big work.

> ncuc calendar,
>
> Many nice calendar plugins for Wordpress.
> The hard part is getting people to populate it with events.
>
> I saw bestbits having almost all IG related events, for us we just need to
put ncuc related things , so everytime we have meeting we can put it there.

> > decisions, statements)
>
> Collecting all past stuff from wherever is no small task,
> but we could start putting new ones up consistently from
> now on.
>
> yes we can start with the recent statements to see how it works. for
previous statements, my understanding is Roy will work on that, no easy
archive work.

> > + civicrm (+database for members management, engagement,
> > following-up)
>
> We have a member database now but it's a quick hack
> with minimal functionality.
> CiviCRM sounds nice but the only one among us with
> any real experience in it is Dave.

we can volunteer him :)

> > + etherpad(for statement drafting, collaborative work etc)
>
> We already have etherpad, even if it's a bit hidden
> and lacks authentication, cf. http://pad.ncuc.org/.

maybe using it during durban starting with the ncuc ec meeting to take
notes/minutes and so on. showing by example how it works. then using it to
prepare a statement for public forum

> > while I am cautious about using social network features , to be effective
> > it needs some critical mass, I think wordpress has such feature or plugin
> > and that needs investigation how to handle the migration from the ning to
> > there
>
> Yes. Given how little stuff there is in Ning I don't see the migration
> all that hard, but selecting and configuring a suitable plugin is needed.
> Brenden said he had ideas about that, but I don't expect to be ready
> with that before Durban (less than a week to go).

does ning provide an export/import tool so we can figure out after shutting
down it?

Rafik