[NCUC E-team] Hosting the NCUC E-Platform

Tapani Tarvainen ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info
Thu Mar 7 17:27:50 CET 2013

On Thu, Mar 07, 2013 at 10:57:50AM -0500, Brenden Kuerbis (bkuerbis at internetgovernance.org) wrote:

> > On Mar 05 20:48, Tapani Tarvainen (ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info) wrote:
> >
> > > Is everybody happy with ssh & RSA?
> >
> > > Show of hands: who uses git regularly enough to remember
> > > not only how to use it but also to actually use even when drunk? :-)
> >
> > Should I interpret the silence that only I and David are comfortable
> > with either, or is everyone else just too busy to respond?
> >

> In my case, you can interpret it as deferring to your expertise. :)

Well, I'm no expert in what you can do... but:

> Your plan sounds fine to me.

I take that to mean you're OK with ssh at least. :-)

> I just hope that the EC (this one and future iterations) recognizes they
> now need to ensure there is a "moderately experienced Linux admin"
> available to support the infrastructure going forward.  Not that this is
> necessarily difficult, just that it needs to happen.

Of course. But I'm deliberately trying to set that bar
as low as possible, even skipping version control (git),
so we won't need any real expertize.

Anyway, since the shares and disk quota we've purchased are
actually tied to your handle, you need to create the VPS.

There're a few choices in the creation process, but nothing
in need of further debate as far as I can see, so please
go ahead with these specs:

> > * OS: I think we've agreed to use Ubuntu 12.04 LTS,
> > I guess 64-bit version (doesn't matter much now but we
> > might want to grow memory above 4GB some day).
> >
> > * Initial disk partioning - since enlarging is easy but
> > shrinking isn't, start with something like 10GB system
> > disk and another 10GB backup and either enlarge them or
> > add other disks later as needed.
> >
> > * We also need an internal name for the machine and the disks -
> > if someone has cute ideas let's hear them, otherwise
> > I'd just call the machine "ncuc1" and the disks
> > something like "ncuc1-root" and "ncuc1-backup".

Feel free to invent a funnier name if you like. :-)