[NCUC E-team] Mailing lists

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Wed Jan 23 13:38:57 CET 2013

Happy to see robust debate in this folder, which I'm just now catching up on...

On Jan 22, 2013, at 8:07 PM, Edward Morris <edward.morris at ALUMNI.USC.EDU> wrote:

>  I'd still prefer a simple discuss-NCUC list

Me too.  I don't think we can decide ex ante for everyone else where they may chat about policy developments in the world, and I don't see the need to treat the NCSG list as superior or preclusive.  If the lists were solely being used in the ICANN workflow/process we could say well stuff that's feeding into Council and WGs etc. should all be SG, but a lot of our traffic is people chatting about a variety of developments in the Internet environment.  "Discuss" captures what they'll actually be using the lists for, both of them.

On Jan 22, 2013, at 6:00 AM, Tapani Tarvainen <ncuc at TAPANI.TARVAINEN.INFO> wrote:

>>> How about something utilitarian like NCUC-Work
>
> Why not.

If I were a member with fairly limited time and engagement, I might think this is a list for people actively rolling up sleeves and being hardcore, not for me.  It's not necessarily inviting.  Nor would it be descriptively accurate, unless we were actually policing and limiting discussion to things being worked on.

If there's consensus that calling it "discuss" as it was before is just no good because the SG list takes priority, I hope we can come up with something that's neutral and doesn't preclude organic, generative appropriation by members, whether  "issues" of just "members" or something…

There is such a list now.  It's pretty dormant, but it exists.  http://mailman.ctyme.com/listinfo/pc-ncuc The question is whether we will have a need and the bandwidth to make rebooting a PC viable.  That's another discussion for the future I've raised with the EC, but how about we digest what we're doing now first.