[NCUC E-team] Mailing lists

Edward Morris edward.morris at alumni.usc.edu
Tue Jan 22 17:32:27 CET 2013

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 2:46 PM, Brenden Kuerbis <
bkuerbis at internetgovernance.org> wrote:

> I agree a multiplicity of lists would be unfortunate.  We should
> consolidate where we can.
>
> What if we had:
>
> discuss at ncsg (for members of NCSG)
> discuss at ncuc.org (for members of NCUC)
> discuss at npoc.org (for members of NPOC)
> etc.
>
> and
>
> announce at ncsg.icann.org
>
> to which officers of the stakeholder group and all constituencies can post
> election announcements, position statements, calls for support, etc.?  This
> would give the entire SG some visibility into the activity of the
> constituencies (a good thing) without overwhelming.

I am in agreement with Brenden's suggestions.

We don't do NPOC. An "announce" list for NCSG is a great idea. It would
enhance filtering abilities.

I also agree we should keep "discuss" for the general NCUC list. Whatever
we call it, members are going to go where they want to go. A conscious
effort to restrict discussion of a general membership list, as 'work' would
attempt to do,  smells to me like top down imposition of something that
should be a a bottom up process. I'd prefer to let things develop
organically.

I also see no need to further expand the number of lists at this time.
Let's figure out what we're going to comprehensively and then work
backwards. We now have lists for the work groups. The NCUC list was a
necessity. The number and type of lists we'll need going forward will be
impacted by decisions taken in other forums and by decisions made in ours.
Let's wait to see what they are and adjust accordingly.