[NCUC E-team] members list

Brenden Kuerbis bkuerbis at internetgovernance.org
Tue Jan 22 18:08:19 CET 2013

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 7:43 AM, Tapani Tarvainen <
ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info> wrote:

> On Jan 22 13:06, William Drake (william.drake at uzh.ch) wrote:
>
> [...]
> > If so, it'd be really great to make [platform recommendation] a priority.
> >
> > So too the general ncuc members list, which makes NPOC very happy.
>
> That's easy as technology has been decided (has to be Mailman,
> if only because Milton promised so in 2003) and readily available.
>
> I can create the members list in a matter of minutes, once I know
> (1) what'll be the name (address) of the list (and whether
>     we'll be creating a separate announcement list),

I believe we're moving toward a partial conclusion on this in another
thread? <members at lists.ncuc.org> for general, administrative discussion
with closed subscription and publicly archived. And AFAIK, there will be an
announcement list, we just haven't settled on specifics.

> (2) what's the cutoff point for copying archives, and

IMO, if we can put all the archives in one place, all the better.

For now:

https://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?A0=NCSG-DISCUSS

Older discussion should be available here:

http://ncuc.syr.edu/

And I imagine there is earlier discussion somewhere on the web.  Milton,
Kathy would be some help here.

> (3) how the subscription is handled (shall we just force-subscribe
>     all members or what, and if so, who has their addresses - Brenden?).

I can provide a NCUC member list with names and email addresses.

> Also, if we want a custom welcome message, someone should write it.

A slightly modified Mailman message works for me. E.g., "Welcome to
members at lists.ncuc.org which is a closed subscription, publicly archived
list for NCUC members to discuss general administrative matters..."