[NCUC E-team] Publicizing NCUC policy work

Brenden Kuerbis bkuerbis at internetgovernance.org
Fri Feb 22 16:22:07 CET 2013

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 3:41 AM, Tapani Tarvainen <
ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info> wrote:

> On Feb 22 09:05, William Drake (william.drake at uzh.ch) wrote:
>
> > One of our challenges is of course listserv silos.
>
> Technically that's essentially a solved problem, but getting
> all lists in a place where they won't get lost too easily.
> For example, the original ncdnhc-discuss list from 2001-2003
> is already buried rather deep, and I suspect there're even
> older lists somewhere I don't know about.
>
> > On Feb 21, 2013, at 5:04 PM, Brenden Kuerbis <
> bkuerbis at internetgovernance.org> wrote:
>
> > > I cannot speak for the entire e-Team, but why spend _any_ energy
> > > improving a site that should be decommissioned ASAP? >
>
> > Oh, I'd love to replace and move the site, I just didn't have the
> > sense that there's enough collective juice to have something up and
> > running by Beijing.
>
> Six weeks is a short time. I think we should be able to have
> _something_ up by then, but whether we're able to migrate
> everything we want from Ning so fast, I wouldn't bet on it.

I think you'll be surprised how little actual content there is on the Ning
site.  Plus Ning makes it fairly painless to export what data we want to
keep.

IMO, we can migrate the essential info in advance of Beijing (e.g., blog
posts, charter, officers), setup some static pages for each group (e.g.,
e-Team) and do the rest as we can.

I think it'll be important to show publicly we've been working on this (in
addition to sharing w/the Constituency all the work being done behind the
scenes).

> > And if that's the case, then I think it'd at least make sense to
> > have a Constituency Day meeting in which we weren't referring to a
> > site with antique info.
>
> Yes. On thing in particular I'd like to fix, like right now,
> is the charter page linked from the Resources tab:
> http://ncuc.org/page/charter-1
> Talking about something that's going to happen 1st quarter of 2012
> as if it were still in the future... aaargh.
> How about simply replacing it with a link to this:
>
> https://community.icann.org/display/gnsononcomstake/Bylaws+of+the+Noncommercial+Users+Constituency

Done.  (we should archive the old one on the VPS when its setup)

> Who's got the privileges to edit that - Brenden, Wilson?
> (I don't think I do - at least I don't know how.)

I've given you admin privileges as well.

> > At least getting a new and improved members list, replacing the
> > defunct interest groups with the variably active teams, and telling
> > people if you want to engage on xyz here's the folks doing it you
> > can join all would be a decent baseline. So don't let the perfect be
> > the enemy of the good, etc.
>
> We'll need to go over the Ning site anyway in preparation of
> the migration, and depending on how we go about it we might
> find it as easy or even easier to update some things in there,
> before the migration. I wouldn't spend much energy on it,
> but we should not assume we can get completely rid of it
> before Beijing. So fixing at least the most glaring gunk
> as well as whatever comes easily in migration planning
> would make sense to me.

As I said above, we'll have very little to actually migrate.  The blog
posts export easily. The groups are largely defunct or shells w/no actual
data, so probably no need to migrate them.  The other handful of pages are
static and copied with a couple clicks.  AFAICT, the only possibly labor
intensive part is if/how we migrate the member pages.

-- B