[NCUC E-team] Publicizing NCUC policy work

Tapani Tarvainen ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info
Fri Feb 22 09:41:44 CET 2013

On Feb 22 09:05, William Drake (william.drake at uzh.ch) wrote:

> One of our challenges is of course listserv silos.

Technically that's essentially a solved problem, but getting
all lists in a place where they won't get lost too easily.
For example, the original ncdnhc-discuss list from 2001-2003
is already buried rather deep, and I suspect there're even
older lists somewhere I don't know about.

> On Feb 21, 2013, at 5:04 PM, Brenden Kuerbis <bkuerbis at internetgovernance.org> wrote:

> > I cannot speak for the entire e-Team, but why spend _any_ energy
> > improving a site that should be decommissioned ASAP? >

> Oh, I'd love to replace and move the site, I just didn't have the
> sense that there's enough collective juice to have something up and
> running by Beijing.

Six weeks is a short time. I think we should be able to have
_something_ up by then, but whether we're able to migrate
everything we want from Ning so fast, I wouldn't bet on it.

> And if that's the case, then I think it'd at least make sense to
> have a Constituency Day meeting in which we weren't referring to a
> site with antique info.

Yes. On thing in particular I'd like to fix, like right now,
is the charter page linked from the Resources tab:
http://ncuc.org/page/charter-1
Talking about something that's going to happen 1st quarter of 2012
as if it were still in the future... aaargh.
How about simply replacing it with a link to this:
https://community.icann.org/display/gnsononcomstake/Bylaws+of+the+Noncommercial+Users+Constituency

Who's got the privileges to edit that - Brenden, Wilson?
(I don't think I do - at least I don't know how.)

> At least getting a new and improved members list, replacing the
> defunct interest groups with the variably active teams, and telling
> people if you want to engage on xyz here's the folks doing it you
> can join all would be a decent baseline. So don't let the perfect be
> the enemy of the good, etc.

We'll need to go over the Ning site anyway in preparation of
the migration, and depending on how we go about it we might
find it as easy or even easier to update some things in there,
before the migration. I wouldn't spend much energy on it,
but we should not assume we can get completely rid of it
before Beijing. So fixing at least the most glaring gunk
as well as whatever comes easily in migration planning
would make sense to me.