[NCUC E-team] Publicizing NCUC policy work

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Fri Feb 22 09:05:36 CET 2013

Hi Brenden

One of our challenges is of course listserv silos.  The e-Team or ET (ok, I'll give in the common usage and drop the "platform" in referring to it…but it sounds like either a movie or TV series from the 80s, hyphen depending) should be driving this particular discussion, not the EC.  The latter has already indicated support for the expenditure, but as MM suggested maybe it could be formalized with a little more detail if needed.  So I'm copying the ET in; why don't we move it there and decide, sort whatever details on the assumption we'll proceed?

On Feb 21, 2013, at 5:04 PM, Brenden Kuerbis <bkuerbis at internetgovernance.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 4:07 AM, William Drake <william.drake at uzh.ch> wrote:
> <snip>
>
> I'm guessing any web revamp will take quite some time, so we ought to focus on refreshing the info on the existing one.  That'd be a good achievement to present in Beijing if possible.  Replace the interest groups with teams, update the member list, etc.
>
> I cannot speak for the entire e-Team, but why spend _any_ energy improving a site that  should be decommissioned ASAP?

Oh, I'd love to replace and move the site, I just didn't have the sense that there's enough collective juice to have something up and running by Beijing.  And if that's the case, then I think it'd at least make sense to have a Constituency Day meeting in which we weren't referring to a site with antique info.  At least getting a new and improved members list, replacing the defunct interest groups with the variably active teams, and telling people if you want to engage on xyz here's the folks doing it you can join all would be a decent baseline.  So don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good, etc.

BUT, if people really think we can do what you lay out below in March, then sure, that would be fantastic.

> If the EC will simply approve the VPS expenditure, I believe we could have the following implemented very quickly:
>
> Content management platform [My suggestion: install an instance of Word Press, point ncuc.org to it, and use this as the public facing website for NCUC.]

I'd thought our techie folks were thinking of something more home grown?

> Constituent relationship management platform [My suggestion: install CiviCRM <http://civicrm.org/go/features> and dump the member list (after cleaning) into it, making it the "official" membership registry going forward]
>
> Email listserv platform [I believe we've already agreed to install Mailman]
>

> We integrate these three components as we proceed, but I believe getting them up an running is a relatively small amount of work.

I'm down with whatever the folks who'd have to do the heavy lifting agree and think they can make happen…

Bill