[NCUC E-team] Website revisions by Constituency Day?

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Wed Apr 3 10:46:23 CEST 2013

On Apr 3, 2013, at 3:53 PM, Tapani Tarvainen <ncuc at TAPANI.TARVAINEN.INFO> wrote:

> On Apr 03 14:24, William Drake (william.drake at uzh.ch) wrote:
>
>> if whatever web presence we will have as of Constituency Day could
>> have an accurate listing of members and replace the old Groups that
>> are all dead with the Teams which are somewhat variably alive, that
>> would be very cool.
>
>> I'm wondering if someone with more bandwidth and tech facility than
>> me (Tapani and Ed I understand you'll be flying together? ;-)
>
> So it seems, but I suspect bandwidth from the plane may be somewhat
> limited. :-)

You just plug it into your ear...

> How bad is the bandwidth situation in Beijing?

In the hotel?  Not to slow, can't say about secure.  Probably I'm getting infested with spyware as we speak, but I ultimately decided I needed my computer here and not just my iPad so voila.  And VPN, websites blocked.

>> Here's my short list of top priorities.
>
> I'm seriously busy today and leaving for Beijing tomorrow.
> I don't expect to get much done before that, but I will try
> to do some final fixes to membership data (remove Olga and Sarah
> at least) and fire up the ncuc-discuss list.
>
> I don't know how much I'll be able to do while in Beijing
> (not much if VPS and ssh are totally blocked, I fear,
> but I'll try to set up a few alternatives).
>
>> Front Page.
>
> Brenden & Wilson,
>
> What's the status with Wordpress?
> Can you get it to somewhat presentable shape in time?

I've seen references to a new site and Wordpress but have no idea what you guys are talking about.  Is there a link?

> Otherwise, we still need to deal with Ning, and again it's
> up to you two for now.
>
>> Membership Roster. http://ncuc.org/page/membership-roster This
>> somehow is now under Governance rather than Participate. Might be
>> good to put it back? More importantly, is there any way we could get
>> something more recent than "Last updated 14 November 2012" up there?
>
> Best data we have is on the new site,

The huh?

> it could be imported to Ning
> or linked to from there (though then some prettyfication would be nice):
> http://ncuc1.ncuc.org/members/

Ok so this is the best current guess.  Would be nice to make displayable

> If you want more data on the members you can use the phppgadmin
> viewer account, or let me know what you want and I can create
> similar ugly reports (or csv files) easily enough.
>
>> Member Teams (what I'd call them, anyway)
>> http://ncuc.org/page/working-teams. This now under Participate
>> rather than Governance, which would make more sense to me, but
>> anyway:
>
>> *The first thing that jumps out at me is that in some cases the
>> lists of team members are shorter than the actual lists of team list
>> subscribers. There's no need to underplay the level of member
>> engagement...
>
>> *Second thing: while some teams have been slow to get going,
>> eventually each will have content, activities to report. So why not
>> create separate pages for each team, linked to this main page?
>> Each could have a one sentence descriptor for now at the top saying
>> what the team's about, the list of participants, the link to the
>> mailing list, and then any docs/records of activity.
>
> As a starting point, how about just a link to the mailing list?
> Participants can be found there as well (although only as email
> addresses rather than names, ugly).

That's what we have now.

>> *Since there's been no mail yet but we will try to start in the next
>> quarter, Tapani would it be possible to rename the team and list
>> Bylaws Revision rather than Charter?
>
> Renaming the charter mailing list you mean? Sure.
> For technical reasons there should be no space though, so
> it'd have to be either "bylaws" or "bylaws-revision" or similar.
> Would "bylaws" be OK? It'd be usable later for interpretation
> debates &c after revision is (at least temporarily) done.

Yes

>> I'm not sure how I screwed that up
>
> Maybe because "charter" is what used to be in the Ning site...
> (seems to have gone now, presumably thanks to Brenden).

Now that you mention it, it was called that on the site

>> *With the old Interest Group pages participants with personal member
>> pages would show up in the groups. Is that no longer possible?
>
> It should be possible once we get the new (Wordpress-based) site
> up to speed, but probably not before Beijing.

Thanks

BD