[NCUC E-team] Website revisions by Constituency Day?

Tapani Tarvainen ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info
Wed Apr 3 09:53:02 CEST 2013

On Apr 03 14:24, William Drake (william.drake at uzh.ch) wrote:

> if whatever web presence we will have as of Constituency Day could
> have an accurate listing of members and replace the old Groups that
> are all dead with the Teams which are somewhat variably alive, that
> would be very cool.

> I'm wondering if someone with more bandwidth and tech facility than
> me (Tapani and Ed I understand you'll be flying together? ;-)

So it seems, but I suspect bandwidth from the plane may be somewhat
limited. :-)

How bad is the bandwidth situation in Beijing?

> Here's my short list of top priorities.

I'm seriously busy today and leaving for Beijing tomorrow.
I don't expect to get much done before that, but I will try
to do some final fixes to membership data (remove Olga and Sarah
at least) and fire up the ncuc-discuss list.

I don't know how much I'll be able to do while in Beijing
(not much if VPS and ssh are totally blocked, I fear,
but I'll try to set up a few alternatives).

> Front Page.

Brenden & Wilson,

What's the status with Wordpress?
Can you get it to somewhat presentable shape in time?

Otherwise, we still need to deal with Ning, and again it's
up to you two for now.

> Membership Roster. http://ncuc.org/page/membership-roster This
> somehow is now under Governance rather than Participate. Might be
> good to put it back? More importantly, is there any way we could get
> something more recent than "Last updated 14 November 2012" up there?

Best data we have is on the new site, it could be imported to Ning
or linked to from there (though then some prettyfication would be nice):
http://ncuc1.ncuc.org/members/

If you want more data on the members you can use the phppgadmin
viewer account, or let me know what you want and I can create
similar ugly reports (or csv files) easily enough.

> Member Teams (what I'd call them, anyway)
> http://ncuc.org/page/working-teams. This now under Participate
> rather than Governance, which would make more sense to me, but
> anyway:

> *The first thing that jumps out at me is that in some cases the
> lists of team members are shorter than the actual lists of team list
> subscribers. There's no need to underplay the level of member
> engagement...

> *Second thing: while some teams have been slow to get going,
> eventually each will have content, activities to report. So why not
> create separate pages for each team, linked to this main page?
> Each could have a one sentence descriptor for now at the top saying
> what the team's about, the list of participants, the link to the
> mailing list, and then any docs/records of activity.

As a starting point, how about just a link to the mailing list?
Participants can be found there as well (although only as email
addresses rather than names, ugly).

> *Since there's been no mail yet but we will try to start in the next
> quarter, Tapani would it be possible to rename the team and list
> Bylaws Revision rather than Charter?

Renaming the charter mailing list you mean? Sure.
For technical reasons there should be no space though, so
it'd have to be either "bylaws" or "bylaws-revision" or similar.
Would "bylaws" be OK? It'd be usable later for interpretation
debates &c after revision is (at least temporarily) done.

> I'm not sure how I screwed that up

Maybe because "charter" is what used to be in the Ning site...
(seems to have gone now, presumably thanks to Brenden).

> *With the old Interest Group pages participants with personal member
> pages would show up in the groups. Is that no longer possible?

It should be possible once we get the new (Wordpress-based) site
up to speed, but probably not before Beijing.