[NCUC-EC] ICANN79 NCUC Issues Forum Report

Pedro de Perdigão Lana pedrodeperdigaolana at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 03:57:42 CEST 2024

For the blog post:

During ICANN79 the Noncommercial Users Constituency once again held an
issue forum. This session was held in partnership with Global Partners
Digital (GPD) on the topic of Internet Fragmentation, which is a hot topic
among the community: ccNSO had a session during ICANN79 and there was also
a plenary from ICANN75 in Kuala Lumpur.
Michaela Nakayama Shapiro from GPD was the moderator. The panelists
included Ephraim Percy from Noncommercial Users Constituency (NCUC), Roz
KennyBirch from the UK Government/Governmental Advisory Committee (GAC),
Ajith Francis from Public Interest Registry (PIR) and Paul Wilson from
APNIC, while Benjamin Akinmoyeje presented the Issues Forum objectives and
history, as well as NCUC work.

*What is Internet Fragmentation?*

Imagine the internet as a giant, interconnected web. Fragmentation
threatens to tear this web apart, creating isolated pockets instead of a
unified whole. This can happen in several ways:

   - *Technical Fragmentation:* Different technologies or protocols, or the
   lack of common standards, make it difficult to communicate across platforms.
   - *Governance Fragmentation:* Governments or institutions create rules
   or issue orders that restrict access to certain parts of the internet.
   - *User Experience Fragmentation:* Services and content become siloed,
   making it harder for users to find what they need and resulting in
   different possibilities and.

*Why Should We Care? *A fragmented internet hurts everyone, because it can,
among other potential problems: (i) limit access to information and
education; (ii) Hinder communication and collaboration; (iii) Stifle
innovation and economic growth; (iv) Undermine human rights like freedom of
expression.

*The Panel's Perspective *The panelists, representing diverse stakeholders,
all agreed that internet fragmentation is a serious threat. Here are some
key takeaways from their discussions:

   - *Fragmentation can be subtle.* It's not just about physical barriers,
   but also about policies and user experiences that create divisions.
   - *The multistakeholder model is key.* ICANN, governments, companies,
   and civil society all need to work together to prevent fragmentation.
   - *We need strong principles and clear definitions.* This will help us
   identify and address fragmentation effectively. Interconnectedness and
   interoperability are key concepts.
   - *Education and awareness are crucial.* Everyone needs to understand
   the importance of a unified internet.

*What You Can Do*

   - *Stay informed.* Learn more about internet fragmentation and its
   implications, using tools such as the framework developed by the IGF Policy
   Network on Internet Fragmentation.
   - *Get involved.* Contact your government representatives and advocate
   for policies that promote a free and open internet, and aggregate with
   trusted voices to help apply pressure.
   - *Support organizations* working to preserve internet openness and
   uniqueness.

Cordially,

*Pedro de Perdigão Lana*
Lawyer <https://www.sistemafiep.org.br/>, GEDAI/UFPR
<https://www.gedai.com.br/> Researcher
PhD Candidate (UFPR), LLM in Business Law (UCoimbra)
Board Member @ CC Brasil <https://br.creativecommons.net/>, ISOC BR
<https://isoc.org.br/> and IODA <https://ioda.org.br/>
This message is restricted to the sender and recipient(s). If received by
mistake, please reply informing it.