[NCUC-EC] Fwd: ICANN65 Marrakech - Policy Forum, travel slot

Bruna Martins dos Santos bruna.mrtns at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 23:13:48 CEST 2019

---------- Forwarded message ---------
De : Thato Mfikwe <thatomfikwe at gmail.com>
Date: jeu. 11 avr. 2019 à 16:02
Subject: ICANN65 Marrakech - Policy Forum, travel slot
To: <chair at ncuc.org>, Maryam Bakoshi <maryam.bakoshi at icann.org>

Hi all,

*Below is my application for support to attend ICANN65 as a regional
representative*

Name: Royden Thato Mfikwe
Departure and arrival on return: Johannesburg, OR Tambo International
airport
*Reason for attending*
-To participate and follow up on NCUC Africa engagement plans during
ICANN65, Africa Strategy meeting.
-To also follow up on CCWG on AP discussions and Open Data Initiative
discussions and proceedings.
-To deepen my participation within NCUC and NCSG activities and support
newcomers if opportunity permits.

Previously, I was involved in the Finance Committee of NCSG and am still am
involved. I have initiated communication with different working groups like
Open Data Initiative, Universal Acceptance, ICANN Finance meetings and I
also contributed and facilitated community draft comments on IANA/PTI plans
and budgets, ICANN plans and budgets.

Within NCUC, I have also mentored newcomers in order to fast track their
participation within ICANN and constituency activities, through the NCUC
buddy program, which I believe, need to be revived as it was a very good
program that gets members active and broadens participation. I also managed
the NCUC stall during the 2017 Global IGF in Geneva, over 2 days, at
differentiated time slots. I was also involved in the coordination of NCUC
outreach in Johannesburg, pre ICANN59, 2017.

I have also coordinated online meetings with NCSG FC committee members,
started to develop the FC document repository, attended NCSG and NCUC
monthly calls and normally giving report on the FC activities, although the
past 5 months have been challenging due to various reasons.

Now with a change in role within the FC, attending this meeting will
provide me another opportunity to serve NCUC in a different capacity,
especially when it comes to exploring AFRALO and AFRICA GSE office
collaboration opportunities, New gTLD AP proceedings and next steps and the
exciting Open Data Initiative that aims to simplify access to information
and develop respective procedures to be followed before data is publicized
or made available to the community by ICANN. I also intend to follow up on
ICANN 5-year and annual plans and budget sessions by ICANN finance.

I normally publish reports after each ICANN meeting but my ICANN64 report
was distributed to the Africa NCUC mailing list. *(See attached report with
follow up community communique that was shared with the Mailing list after
a meeting with ICANN Africa GSE VP, Pierre Dadnjinou).* I still plan to
bring a telling voice within the community of NCUC and NCSG.

Whenever not onsite, I attend some ICANN meetings online, like ICANN 61 and
ICANN 63, making representations at NCUC constituency day and actively
participating remotely. I am also open to still serving NCUC in any other
capacity or for any other initiative. Since ICANN64, I am currently
coordinating with the NCUC EC Africa representative, a way to improve
regional participation and contribution in ICANN, NCSG and constituency
activities. Thanks.

Thato Mfikwe.
South Africa
NCUC member and NCSG FC member