[NCUC-EC] Fwd: SOI_NCUC Fellowship to the IGF

Bruna Martins dos Santos bruna.mrtns at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 15:19:45 CET 2018

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Olga Kyryliuk <olga_kyryliuk at ukr.net>
Date: qua, 31 de out de 2018 às 10:06
Subject: SOI_NCUC Fellowship to the IGF
To: <chair at ncuc.org>, <maryam.bakoshi at icann.org>

Dear Bruna and Maryam,

First of all, thank you for putting so many efforts and energy into
promoting NCUC at fora like IGF, which I believe to be extremely important
both in terms of making NCUC known and engaging new members into the
community. Despite considering IGF to be one of the most important and
influential platform for exchange of ideas on Internet policies and how the
future of the Internet should look like, I most likely would have missed it
this year having no funding to support my participation. But then I
received the news of my session proposal being approved and included into
the agenda. Given extremely high number of submitted proposals, I believed
it to be wrong to refuse from attending when the session I submitted has
been among those selected. I decided to use the opportunity, which also
meant covering all related costs on my own. At the end, being there with
the community and participating in the discussions is never a bad
investment. But then, the very last moment, came the NCUC call for
proposals and I decided to try my luck. It's both cos the funding would
mitigate the financial burden for me, but even more due to the fact that I
truly believe in NCUC values, am proud of being part of the constituency
and would be more than happy to help with the outreach at IGF. I know how
important but also challenging might be the outreach, and, therefore, I am
willing to help you with that.

I'm already involved as an onsite moderator for WS #269 Do(not) Touch: Self
Regulatory Harbor of Social Platform
<https://www.intgovforum.org/multilingual/content/igf-2018-ws-269-donot-touch-selfregulatory-safe-harbor-of-social-platforms>and
as a rapporteur for WS #227 Blockchain for Social and Humanitarian
Applications.
<https://www.intgovforum.org/multilingual/content/igf-2018-ws-227-blockchain-for-social-and-humanitarian-applications>I've
signed the list of NCUC members for IGF, and would be able to sign up for
the specific time at the booth once I take a final look at the agenda. I
would be equally happy to help with the NCUC outreach session, and other
activities that have been planned by the leadership so far. I also commit
myself to writing daily reports as required.

I'm currently a member of the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures WG, WT5 on
geographic names at the top level, and an observer of the EPDP team work.
Following the ICANN63 meeting, I plan to be engaged in sub-group A of the
SubPro WG to review the comments to the Initial Report, as well as in
reviewing the draft Initial Report of WT5 and subsequently participating in
drafting NCSG comment thereto once the report is published.

NCUC is a part of the GNSO’s Noncommercial Stakeholders Group (NCSG) open
for civil society organizations, and end users who are caring about
non-commercial aspects of domain name policy. NCUC ensures that voice of
non-commercial users at ICANN is united and heard by promoting the values
of privacy, freedom of expression, diversity, multilingualism,
accountability, human rights in general, as well as preventing the
government and intellectual property interests overreach in generic domain
names, and ensuring that ICANN's mandate is interpreted narrowly to avoid
it becoming a content regulator. NCUC members actively participate in
public policy writing for generic top-level domains adopted by consensus.
For me personally, NCUC is a place where I feel being at home, while
surrounded by like minded and passionate human rights advocates within
ICANN.

My total expenses for the flights and accommodation are around 900 euros,
which is a bit more than 1000 dollars.

Thank you for consideration of my candidacy, and looking forward to your
decision.

Best,
Olga Kyryliuk
PhD, CEO&Founder