[NCUC-EC] NCUC EC Call last Friday - Appointments

Renata Aquino Ribeiro raquino at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 23:51:50 CEST 2018

Hi

Answers below

https://lists.ncuc.org/pipermail/ncuc-ec/2018-March/009188.html

> Because my impression of the meeting outcomes was much more positive than
> the outcomes I see reported below.
>
> This is just a rough summary, taking into account this is a continuing
conversation, apologies if seemingly unpositive

> Best,
>
> Elsa Saade
> --
>
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 7:14 AM, Renata Aquino Ribeiro <raquino at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Dear all
>>
>> These are my appointments from NCUC EC Call last Friday.
>>
>> Present in this call were Elsa Saade, Louise Hurel and Ines Hfaiedh
>>

> ​As far as I understood Ines could not really make it through the call,
> due to connection errors.

indeed tentative attendance

>> Apologies from Michael Karanicolas and Bruna Santos
>>
>> I've recovered Elsa Saade's agenda here:
>>
>> 1. General overview of the NCUC EC and Chair's work in the past 5 months
>> (always keeping by-laws in mind)
>>
>> This was to me a surprise and a rather uncanny agenda item since there
>> was no point mentioned about the bylaws or their infringement I can recall
>>

> This was an umbrella point for the rest of the points below, keeping in
> mind the by-laws to keep each other at check that we are all on the right
> track as a team, and to also discuss if there would be a need for
> reconsideration of bylaws based on discussions like the one on regional
> representations for instance. The way I saw the discussion unfolding was
> extremely positive, and had no reference to any infringement, rather praise
> with a call for betterment. I'd like to have some clarification on why it
> comes to Renata as a surprise that we'd like to evaluate our efficiency in
> the last 5 months.

well, as mentioned it just seemed uncanny since the debriefing of ICANN61
was what I had in mind was main focus. But sure, reflection is an ongoing
process and should only lead to improvements

> a. Hand-over process (if any) and how it can be refined for current and
>> future EC
>>
>> The EC had a transition document studied in the beginning of its term. In
>> ICANN61 the Chair could not be at the meeting but EC could. Both Chair and
>> EC are representatives of NCUC so in occasions where the Chair is not
>> available, the EC can represent. Fortunately these occasions won't be
>> needed anymore in a short horizon.
>>

> As stated in the meeting, this point was specifically concerning the
> general handover of the EC when they first get elected and the possibility
> to create a handbook or a more detailed transition document for any
> upcoming EC in order for them to be hands on from the very beginning. The
> point did not mean ICANN 61, rather a general NCUC EC procedural point
> regarding transition from one EC to another.
>

>> this is a project that the EC can take on. However, there will be an
adaptation period upcoming w/ our bylaws approval, procedures review and
FAQ review. And we'll need volunteers for all of that. I'd first look at
improving procedures as in conversations than a whole new handbook but,
again, this can be a project.

>> 2. Future Proceeds and how to improve communication
>>
>> See point above
>>
>> a. Communication Management Brainstorming and setting
>>
>> See point above
>>
>> b. Initial coordination plan for EC and Chair for any upcoming
>> events/meetings
>>
>> Unfortunately we do not have the report from the ICANN62 Kick-off
>> planning meeting yet but soon we may have other information
>> A workspace is built, just like before
>> A general public invite
>> And thanks for the EC who contributed with social media, invites to the
>> meeting
>>
>> Some meetings, for instance, are outside of Chair/EC remit
>>
>> As I understand Elsa Saade is going to Rightscon handpicked by GSE
>> Since this comes w no consultation or communication to the EC or Chair,
>> we take that she is representing her own personal capacity
>>

> I am indeed attending Rightscon in my own personal capacity, the GSE team
> selected me as a Fellowship Alumni and another NextGen Alumni to help with
> the ICANN Booth during the RightsCon days as we were both temporarily
> located in the NA region. This was not a travel slot or funds that were
> ever offered to NCUC and if I w
> ​ere​
> attending the event
> ​i​
> n the capacity of the NCUC EC AP representative
> ​,
>  the whole team would have been informed, as expected of me. Accordingly,
> as this was an opportunity offered to me as Alumni of the Fellowship
> Program I did not see the need to communicate this to the EC or the Chair
> on this specific call that aimed to address the EC and Chair
> "appointments". In case any doubt with regards to this selection arises,
> I'd suggest to talk to Adam Peake who was the one who contacted me with the
> given opportunity
> ​.​

yup so, outside EC remit, which means we do not have any immediate concern
other than ICANN62 and following CROP occasions