[NCUC-EC] CIVICRM Costs/Request

Renata Aquino Ribeiro raquino at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 17:24:16 CEST 2018

Hi Michael and all

This is news to me now as well so I will ask more information from ICANN staff.

NCUC EC had its call today and I will repeat my thoughts on this issue.

This feels too much like a "shotgun wedding".

NCSG Chair wants our response by the end of the week.

However, I think we should discuss with our members if want to commit
half of our (newfound) budget on a database we have no access to and
know the issues of (I have accompanied a few meetings at NCSG Chair's
invite but I think I saw only the tip of the iceberg).

There is no guarantee that building a relationship with this company
will end the issues being faced now on membership approval front.

Our choices in tech should align with our values, we have no
references of practices of the company regarding ideas of diversity
hiring practices, data protection etc.

At a minimum we should send out an inquiry to our members who used
CivicRM and has providers they can trust.

Maybe even question altogether whether CivicRM is a good choice and if
it is time to move to another system.

I`d also wish we adopt Open Contracting practices.

Anyhow, this should be a collective EC decisiion but I hope at least
we can have more info about accompanying this process from NCSG.

I will remind you all that I've asked observer status to Constituency
Chairs to the database and request was denied.

So I would like to hear more from NCSG how the SG plans to keep
Constituencies informed of how half of their budget is being spent and
the results achieved.

Thanks

Renata