[NCUC-EC] Selection of funded EC to ICANN63

Michael Karanicolas mkaranicolas at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 17:26:17 CEST 2018

Hi,

Please accept this as my request for support to attend ICANN63 in
Barcelona. I did not receive travel funds to attend ICANN62, and only
received partial support for my hotel at ICANN61, so this will be my first
time in 2018 requesting an EC slot. As an independent consultant, I have no
other sources of travel support that I could draw on to attend this meeting.

I expect that ICANN63 will be important for a number of projects that I am
contributing to at ICANN. This includes Workstream 2, where I am the
Rapporteur for the Transparency subgroup, whose final report is expected to
be approved in Barcelona. I am also the Co-Chair for the Cross-Community
Working Party on Human Rights, and an active participant in the RPMs
working group, both of whom have substantial activities planned for ICANN63.

In terms of my engagement with NCUC work specifically, since I am one of
the only members of the EC who has been through a chair transition before,
I think it would be useful to have me there for those discussions, and of
course I am very happy to do whatever I can to help with inreach/outreach,
hosting membership discussions, etc. Indeed, since I was unable to
participate in these processes at ICANN62, due to the time zone
differences, I would very much look forward to getting back into it.

Best wishes,

Michael