[NCUC-EC] update: NCUC mentees at ICANN61

Michael Karanicolas mkaranicolas at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 05:19:16 CET 2018

Thanks Renata. I realize it's not as inclusive as we normally like to
do things, but I think these are extenuating circumstances. We don't
control the US visa process, and given that we have a full contingent
of mentors we're paying to send, it seems wasteful to not include the
final mentee as well. As to the risk of going over budget - I feel
like that can be resolved easily enough by setting a 2000 USD limit on
funding.

Please clarify - is the 2000 USD is just for airfare through, or if
hotel is also lumped into that?

Proposed call below:

-----------

Re: Mentee slot for ICANN61 Available - Including Travel Funding

Hello all,

Unfortunately, one of our mentees for ICANN61 had their visa denied.
It's a disappointing situation, but as a consequence, we have one
mentee slot available to fund. Because of how close we are to the
meeting, it is unlikely that another applicant will be able to
complete the visa process in time, so we are going to ask for
applicants who either already have a US visa, or who do not need to
apply in advance for a visa. We normally don't like to issue a call on
those kinds of terms, as it is not as inclusive as we would like, but
in this case circumstances are beyond our control, so it is either
that, or discard the slot.

Also, we have a budget limit of 2000 USD, so please only apply if your
costs will be within that, or if you would be satisfied with that
amount of funding and covering the remainder yourself [Please clarify
Renata - is that 2000 USD for airfare and hotel, or just for
airfare?]. Again - sorry about the restrictions - it's an unusual
situation.

If you wish to apply, please let us know by Friday, 16 February,
including a short (1-2 paragraph) note on why you are interested and
qualified.

Best,

The EC