[NCUC-EC] Fwd: [NCUC-DISCUSS] Fwd: Travel support call for ICANN63 - apply by 8 Aug

Renata Aquino Ribeiro raquino at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 15:49:34 CEST 2018

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Thato Mfikwe <thatomfikwe at gmail.com>
Date: ter, 7 de ago de 2018 10:38
Subject: Re: [NCUC-DISCUSS] Fwd: Travel support call for ICANN63 - apply by
8 Aug
To: <chair at ncuc.org>, Maryam Bakoshi <maryam.bakoshi at icann.org>

Hi all,

Please receive my response to the travel support call for ICANN 63 below,
thanks, I hope you find all in order.

*Question 1*.  Why do you want to attend the meeting? Which Working groups
or policy discussions you have been involved with and would like to be
involved further. If you have not been involved in policy discussions,
which policy discussion(s) will  get involved with? (please provide links
to your mailing list contributions and your record of attendance in WG
meetings)

I want to attend this meeting because the Finance Committee of which I
represent NCUC and am a Chairperson of, has submitted a meeting request to
coordinate a session with community members and to participate on NCSG
constituency day during ICANN 63, providing orientation and reaching out to
new comers and community members. I also intend to follow up on ICANN open
session meetings where strategic plans, operational plans and budget will
be tabled and discussed.
I also intend to follow up on meetings that will help me execute my
responsibilities more efficiently as a member of the Finance Committee,
like following up on New gTLD auction proceeds, Reserve fund, Operational
fund and new gTLD subsequent procedures deliberations and strengthening
relations with ICANN finance and potential funders of the SG. Another
strategic reason for attending this meeting is to spur growth of the
membership of the Finance Committee, keep track with FY20 plans and FY19
developments and announcements, including completion or finalisation of the
FC Draft Operation Procedures to kick-start the committee activities.
I have been involved in WG of (Internet governance, commented on FY18 and
FY 19 budgets and operational plans). I have attended more that 70% of NCSG
online meetings, continually provide FC updates on NCUC and NCSG online
calls. I also intend to gain more knowledge on policy activities of the SG,
especially relating to WHOIS policy, GDPR, EPDP and other gTLD policy
discussions, including joint outreach with GAC or ALAC structures. Also
looking forward to meaningfully contribute to the African Strategy of ICANN
during this meeting.

*Question 2.* How much support do you need? Indicate airfare, hotel, visa
expenses (Remember that we want to support as many mentees as possible, so
the less you ask for the more likely you are to receive funding - of
course, it also depends on your motivation letter- and we don't offer per
diem.)`

Hotel fare = R20 277.82 ($1 521)
Airfare: Johannesburg to Barcelona, 1 stop= R9 200 ($698.86)

Will pay the balance of $219.86 on arrival, personally at the hotel, which
is almost equivalent to 1 night stay of $216

*Question 3. *How much time, effort and work will you spend studying policy
topics before, during and after the meeting? And will you stay engaged or
volunteer to mentor future NCSG members? If you have been a part of NCUC
Buddy Pilot program or plan to participate in this or other training
programs within NCSG, NCUC or NPOC please mention.

I am currently studying policy documents and analysing financial
information as this is required from the leaders within NCSG. I am always
available to mentor new members as I have successfully done so before,
according to the mentees. I have participated in the buddy program, ICANN
61 NCUC constituency day and ICANN 62 NCUC capacity building workshop on
negotiation and facilitation skills, I intend to deepen my involvement
within NCSG, while contributing more effectively to constituency activities.

*Note:* If accepted or approved, please note that I will need a letter
confirming my participation and covered expenses so that I can arrange for
sponsorship to attend and reimburse upon return.

Thato Mfikwe.
NCSG FC Chair