[NCUC-EC] Fwd: Statement of Interest Re: Travel support call for ICANN63

Renata Aquino Ribeiro raquino at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 15:46:09 CEST 2018

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Gustavo Paiva <gdp.direito at gmail.com>
Date: qua, 8 de ago de 2018 16:43
Subject: Statement of Interest Re: Travel support call for ICANN63
To: <maryam.bakoshi at icann.com>, <chair at ncuc.org>

Greetings.

My name is Gustavo Paiva and I am a member of NCUC. Below are my answers to
the topics required in the application for Travel Support for ICANN63.

1. Why do you want to attend the meeting? Which Working groups or

policy discussions you have been involved with and would like to be

involved further. If you have not been involved in policy discussions,

which policy discussion(s) will  get involved with? (please provide

links to your mailing list contributions and your record of attendance

in WG meetings)

I want to attend the meeting to keep up with and contribute with the
discussion surrounding the GDPR and the future of the WHOIS system.

I was intensely involved with the dot-amazon debate. During Brazil’s IGF,
traveling by my own means, I was part of the rapporteur duo and did most of
the report. During that opportunity I also presented an exposition about
The Daily Stormer and the takedown of websites by registrars at an NCUC
event at the Attorney’s Order in Rio de Janeiro. The opportunity to prepare
the report for the dot-amazon workshop was enriching — I got to observe and
deal intensely with some of the most important actors in the debate, such
as Ambassador Benedicto — and I wish to get involved further with the gTLD
debates, considering how they can affect Civil Society around the world and
also keeping in mind the impact gTLDs and brand TLDs can have on ICANN’s
budget in the future.

I went to Panama in the NEXTGEN62 program, where I had the opportunity to
participate in my first ICANN meeting. Since then I’ve remained engaged. I
organized a hub in my city to participate with the LAC Readout, organized
by Daniel Fink, and I used that opportunity to explain to the attendees
about ICANN and how it relates to our research, and how participating is an
enriching opportunity.

I am also creating a local Internet Governance Introductory Course, with
the support from Daniel Fink. Totally, I’ve attended two Internet
Governance Schools (SSIG and Brazil’s Steering Committee’s School), two
IGFs (Guadalajara and João Pessoa), two Brazilian Forums, and have
participated in IGF Workshops since 2016, where I presented both about
regional involvement and integration of LGBT people into Internet
Governance. I am now a Teaching Assistant at my university’s first Internet
Law subject and I am bringing those discussions to the students. I’ve
participated with Safernet in projects taking Internet Safety lectures to
children, teenagers and their parents in underserved schools. I am a member
of the Youth Observatory since its inception in 2015. As of 2018 I’ve been
taking freelance jobs consulting for Registry Operator.

I am starting to get involved with Public Comment writing. (
https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/comments-travel-support-guidelines-30may18/2018q3/000002.html
)

After having a wide diversity of experiences in the Internet Governance
field I’ve found myself at home in ICANN, and intend to dedicate all of my
work in Internet Governance towards it, keeping close ties to my local
projects as the Introductory Internet Governance Course and outreach in
public schools.

2. How much support do you need? Indicate airfare, hotel, visa

expenses (Remember that we want to support as many mentees as

possible, so the less you ask for the more likely you are to receive

funding - of course, it also depends on your motivation letter- and we

don't offer per diem.)

Support with a visa will not be necessary, since Brazilians do not require
one to go to Spain.

A cursory airfare check indicate I’d need about 1.400 USD for the airfare.
An additional 300USD, while not enough to pay for hotel on its own, would
be sufficient for me as I could cover the remaining costs. So, summing it,
1.700USD would be enough; I can cover additional expenses.

3. How much time, effort and work will you spend studying policy

topics before, during and after the meeting? And will you stay engaged

or volunteer to mentor future NCSG members? If you have been a part of

NCUC Buddy Pilot program or plan to participate in this or other

training programs within NCSG, NCUC or NPOC please mention.

I’ve already dedicated hundreds of hours to NCUC and ICANN, such as the
dot-amazon debate both on-site during the workshop and in the following
month when I worked on the report. I intend to go further into GDPR-related
debates. As a Law student I must present a thesis in order to graduate and
will do it about the GDPR, at the end of this year. Because of it nearly
all of my time will be dedicated to it and, indirectly, to preparing for
ICANN63. This will extend to after the meeting.

The following six months of my time will be completely and single-mindedly
dedicated to this, both before, during and after the event.

Complying with the report writing and further obligations will not be a
problem. I will attend all the days of the event, as I’ve done so during
Panama and in previous Internet Governance events, and I will participate
in the debate as I did during my NEXTGEN experience.

I am willing and available to participate in training programs, and I would
gladly do so as I greatly enjoy outreach and capacity building for Internet
Governance newcomers.

Thank you for the opportunity,

Gustavo Paiva.