[NCUC-EC] Fwd: NCUC Fellowship application - ICANN62

Renata Aquino Ribeiro raquino at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 20:41:52 CEST 2018

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ioana Stupariu <Stupariu_Ioana at phd.ceu.edu>
Date: Sat, Apr 14, 2018 at 5:03 PM
Subject: NCUC Fellowship application - ICANN62
To: "chair at ncuc.org" <chair at ncuc.org>, "maryam.bakoshi at icann.com"
<maryam.bakoshi at icann.com>

Dear Members of the Executive Committee,

I would like to express my interest for the NCUC Fellowship for
mentees for ICANN62 (Panama, 25-28 June).

As a twice fellow (ICANN60 and ICANN61), I am relatively recent to the
work of ICANN, yet after my first contact with the community, in Abu
Dhabi, I immediately knew I would like to get involved more; it was
only a matter of time to see where and how I could help. My second
meeting helped me clarify some of my concerns and answer many of the
questions I had, as I sought closer guidance from some of the more
experience community mentors. It was here that NCUC appeared as the
perfect fit in light of my complex background (being an academic, a
professional and largely involved in NGO work and projects), thus I
decided to become a member. Meanwhile, I became a part of the RPM
working group and started working with some other members of the
community on GDPR-related matters (due to my work with GDPR outside
ICANN), as well as on various ideas of outreach or educational
projects that could be developed within the ICANN framework. I am
aware that I have not had the chance to contribute more up to this
point as it is still too soon, but I have expressed my interest and
offered my voluntary support from day 1 and would like to continue
walking this path. For this, however, I strongly believe some closer,
inside guidance, from those that are much more experienced in this
than I am, would be a huge gain for my development within ICANN.

With regards to this specific meeting, ICANN62, there are two reasons
that stand behind my motivation. Firstly, I want to be specifically a
mentee in NCUC as I'd like to get closer guidance on what I can do and
be involved with. I am aware of the broad lines of the work done, but
many of the subtleties and less apparent projects are still unknown to
me. Secondly, as I have just joined the RPM working group and recently
started engaging in online work with established members such as Kathy
Kleiman, Farzaneh Badii, Martin Silva, I believe being present at the
next on-site meeting would allow me to engage directly and thus get
more work done. Due to my profile, I am confident I can contribute in
both policy analysis and outreach in my region (CEE), and it would be
greatly useful to get the necessary knowledge and tools to do so.

With regards to my commitment, as I am still in the learning phase, I
am willing to invest all the necessary time and effort before, during
and after the meeting to research and study on any policy matter that
would be relevant for me as a mentee and as an NCUC member. Also, if I
would be selected and go through the mentorship process, I would love
to further mentor other NCUC mentees, once I would get more accustomed
to the intricacies of this specific constituency. I have been a mentor
myself in the past, in other contexts (including as law professor and
debate coach), and I'd like to believe it is one of my strongest
suits. While I have never been a coach in the fellowship program, I
will certainly apply as one in the next round of applications, for
ICANN63. Lastly, it goes without saying, I would love to get further
involved in NCUC after this potential fellowship and bring my
contribution both off and on site whenever possible.

Costs of my attendance
As required, here is a breakdown of all the costs that my
participation would require, broken down into categories and with
explanation.

airfare: $1250 - Cheapest flight for the said dates, with 1 layover,
with KLM, from Budapest (HU) to Panama City (PA). Price checked with
skyscanner as of April 14.
hotel: $595 - Deluxe Standard Room (single occupancy): USD $119.00 x 5
nights (June 24-29). This is the price for the cheapest room from the
official hotels listed for the meeting, which is Radisson Decapolis
Hotel Panama City.
visa expenses: NO costs. As EU citizen (citizen of Romania), I do not
need a visa to enter Panama. I also confirm that I have a valid
passport, with at least 2 empty pages, as required by the Panamanian
authorities.

I also confirm I am aware of the NCUC travel policy and I understand
that I have to arrange my trip myself and cover the expenses
beforehand, being reimbursed only after.

I look forward to hearing from you and I am glad to answer any
questions you may have about any of the above.

Greetings from Budapest,

Ioana

Ioana Stupariu
SJD Candidate - International Business Law
Central European University
Department of Legal Studies
Nador u. 11, 1051 Budapest, Hungary
Phone: +36205019300