[NCUC-EC] Selection of candidates for Policy Committee representatives

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Fri Dec 1 18:03:19 CET 2017

My opinion is that the PC has turned into a bottleneck and gatekeeper. I see a need for a PC chair to keep things moving, but I see no need for a committee with a limited and exclusive membership.

Policy positions should have the support of the entire SG, or at least preponderance of support among all members who actively participate in their development. Our biggest problem is never “who should be on the committee,” but is always “who will actually do the work?” It’s inevitable that we will appoint people to the committee who don’t do work, and it’s inevitable that there will be people not appointed to the committee willing to work. In my recollection, the PC was always open to anyone who wanted to volunteers, and should remain so.

In short, I think this candidate selection process is a waste of time. Appoint a chair to manage the process and allow anyone who is willing to contribute to participate.

--MM