[NCUC-EC] ncuc statement on transition (draft)

farzaneh badii farzaneh.badii at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 05:09:55 CEST 2016

Hi I approve. But you can take my comments below into consideration or not

1. I don't understand the three operational community business "Our members
have been keen and engaged participants in the working groups, drafting
teams and proposal development processes in* all three operational
communities.*" I wondered what you meant by operational communities. and
this link https://www.icann.org/en/stewardship/community says that
operational communities are domain names, numbering resources and protocol
parameters. If that is the case, have we been developing processes in all
three operational communities or am I mistaken and don't understand
operational communities ?

2. You have three operational communities again in the last sentence. I
suggest removing it.

3. I find this sentence unnecessary : "*We note the approval of the
proposed governance reforms by the independent reviewers commissioned by
the NTIA". * Why are we noting this ? we could also say it's been approved
by some aliens in Mars who were independent too!

4.*"**We note the approval of the proposed governance reforms". also in the
same sentence we have governance reform. If you don't get rid of that
sentence you might want to change it to accountability reforms. *

 Here is my version. As I said, I am not insisting on it you can go ahead
and submit what you already have in a couple of hours.

Statement by the Noncommercial Users Constituency

The Noncommercial Users Constituency (NCUC) welcomes the approval of the
IANA Stewardship Transition proposal by the U.S. Commerce Department NTIA
on June 9. NCUC has been an advocate of the transition since 2005 and its
members have played a leading role in the process.
NCUC represents civil society in ICANN's Generic Names Supporting
Organization. It has 505 members from 134 countries, including 117
noncommercial organizations and 388 individuals. Our members have been keen
and engaged participants in the working groups, drafting teams and proposal
development processes in all three operational communities. We also
appointed a representative to the IANA Stewardship Coordination Group
(ICG). We are united in our support for the final proposal.
We note the approval of the proposed governance reforms by the independent
reviewers commissioned by the NTIA. We look forward to the faithful
implementation of the proposal's reforms in all three operational
communities, and to the conclusion of this historic process in September
2016.

On 21 June 2016 at 23:56, Rafik Dammak <rafik.dammak at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Milton.
>
> Thanks for sharing this and acting quickly. Maybe to explain the context,
> the statement is aimed to show our support of the approval by NTIA and
> publicize it. Our members spent a lot of time doing a thankless job  in
> working group and it is important to keep the support in particular
> because  the US political context.
>
> Again I endorse this statement. If there is no objection in coming hours,
> we will submit it.
>
> Best,
>
> Rafik
> On Jun 22, 2016 5:31 AM, "Mueller, Milton L" <milton at gatech.edu> wrote:
>
> Statement by the Noncommercial Users Constituency
>
> The Noncommercial Users Constituency (NCUC) welcomes the approval of the
> IANA Stewardship Transition proposal by the U.S. Commerce Department NTIA
> on June 9. NCUC has been an advocate of the transition since 2005 and its
> members have played a leading role in the process.
> NCUC represents civil society in ICANN's Generic Names Supporting
> Organization. It has 505 members from 134 countries, including 117
> noncommercial organizations and 388 individuals. Our members have been keen
> and engaged participants in the working groups, drafting teams and proposal
> development processes in all three operational communities. We also
> appointed a representative to the IANA Stewardship Coordination Group
> (ICG). We are united in our support for the final proposal.
> We note the approval of the proposed governance reforms by the independent
> reviewers commissioned by the NTIA. We look forward to the faithful
> implementation of the proposal's reforms in all three operational
> communities, and to the conclusion of this historic process in September
> 2016.
>
> Dr. Milton L Mueller
> Professor, School of Public Policy
> Georgia Institute of Technology