[NCUC-EC] Bylaws with Track changes

farzaneh badii farzaneh.badii at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 13:00:42 CEST 2016

Hi Milton and Rafik,

Rafik I think we need to change the timeline regarding the bylaw (we are
running behind and making changes). I don't think we can send it today.
Perhaps Monday or Wednesday next week. But we really have to this time
respect the deadline. So lets work on it together everyone and approve it
to be posted to the members next week.

going to Milton's comments in line

On 25 August 2016 at 16:51, Mueller, Milton L <milton at gatech.edu> wrote:

> OK, thanks, Farzy, it’s great that you have done all this work.
>
> I have now seen the new Google doc. Before I start messing up what is
> already a very messy document, let me see if there is some support from
> other EC members for certain changes.
>

> 1.       Policy Committee. The current policy committee is dysfunctional
> because responsibility is too diffuse, and one can see why by reading the
> charter. “The policy committee shall be chaired by constituency
> appointees…” No single chair, left open. Also, it is not clear who appoints
> the chair. We need to make one, single person responsible for managing the
> public comment and policy development process within NCUC, and we need to
> have that person appointed or elected in an accountable way. My question
> is: who should appoint/elect that person – the EC? The members? The GNSO
> Councilors? The chair? I would favor either the EC or the Chair.

Milton I think here you are talking about NCSG policy committee. Do we have
an NCUC PC? If not I think it's a good idea to have one.
The chair (if I have gotten it right) is elected by the appointees to the
PC at NCSG.  I think it's good to have public comment and PDP person at
NCUC and EC should be able to appoint them.

> 2.       Ed Morris proposed some tightening up of the membership
> eligibility rules in the wake of the Peter Green situation. Have those
> changes been incorporated into these bylaws? It looks to me like they were
> included.if so, good, we don’t need to do anything more.

I have included them

> 3.       In III.G., I suggested adding something giving the EC the
> authority to review and expel members whose status has changed in a way
> that no longer makes them eligible for membership.

ok

> 4.       Who is the “Executive Coordinator” reference on page 9?

Sorry I am not sure I can find what you are referring to. can you hilight
it on the doc.

> 5.       Suggested adding something about ballot review. An earlier part
> of the EC description says the EC reviews the ballot, but later on under
> part VI Voting it sounds like the chair does it all unilaterally

ok, somehow I cant  find your comment in the doc  but I agree.

> 6.       It isn’t clear from the charter who or what process actually
> sets the dues. It says “On an annual basis, the Chair will consult with
> the Executive Committee regarding the appropriate level for dues.” Does
> that mean the chair can set them unilaterally after consulting with EC?
> Maybe EC should approve.

I agree. EC should approve and we should clarfiy the text accordingly.

Best

Farzaneh

--
Farzaneh