[NCUC-EC] FW: Application for travel support to ICANN meeting in Helsinki

Maryam Bakoshi maryam.bakoshi at icann.org
Mon Apr 25 15:50:35 CEST 2016

Many thanks,
--
Maryam Bakoshi
Secretariat ­Support - NCSG, NCUC, NPOC

Email:  maryam.bakoshi at icann.org<mailto:maryam.bakoshi at icann.org>
Mobile:  +44 7737 698036
Skype:  maryam.bakoshi.icann

From: "Gangesh S. Varma" <gangesh.varma at nludelhi.ac.in<mailto:gangesh.varma at nludelhi.ac.in>>
Date: Wednesday, 20 April 2016 at 12:04
To: Rafik Dammak <rafik.dammak at gmail.com<mailto:rafik.dammak at gmail.com>>
Cc: Maryam Bakoshi <maryam.bakoshi at icann.org<mailto:maryam.bakoshi at icann.org>>
Subject: Re: Application for travel support to ICANN meeting in Helsinki

Dear Rafik and Maryam,

Hope this mail finds you well. Thank you for your email and the opportunity to apply for the NCUC travel support to attend the ICANN 56 Meeting in Helsinki.

I have been engaging with ICANN through my organization, the Centre for Communication Governance (CCG) at the National Law University Delhi since last year. As Senior Fellow at CCG, I work on global internet governance issues, with a specific focus on ICANN. Along with my colleagues, we have increased our engagements with the ICANN community in India through our pre-event Briefings to prepare for ICANN Meetings, and capture perspectives from stakeholders. This is followed up with a debrief document to share updates post-meeting. We also plan to increase our stakeholder engagement regionally and will be significantly contributing to the 'APAC Space' and the newly introduced bi-monthly calls for the region. My colleague and I are part of the WHOIS and New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP respectively. Additionally, we are also participating in the Human Rights work of the CCWP, and intend to participate actively in Work Stream 2 of the CCWG Accountability Work. With this context in mind, the following are some key reasons that I should be attending the ICANN meeting in Helsinki:

1. Important Policy Discussions: This is the first "B Meeting" which will focus on Policy discussions under the new meeting strategy. The 4 day meeting format will focus on outreach, intra and inter community work. I believe it is important to be able to participate in this conversation given the substantial amount of policy work that will be on the table. It will be an opportunity to understand the priority areas of focus for NCUC in Work Stream 2, and PDP processes. Additionally the CCWG on Internet Governance is at a crucial juncture, a face-2-face meeting planned will determine the future of the working group and appropriate course of action. I wish to contribute to this discussion, and follow up on suggestions made during the meeting in Marrakech.

2. In-person interactions aid in better coordination and collaborations: While I have previously studied about ICANN, and remotely engaged during some calls and meetings, it was only during ICANN 55 (thanks to the ICANN Fellowship) that I was able to be physically present at a Meeting. Being able to meet and interact with members of the constituency, and learning from their experiences was invaluable. More importantly, this helped share ideas for future engagements, and collaborative endeavors.

3. Identifying specific areas of research that can support NCUC and its areas of concerns: Understanding and identifying specific areas of research from discussions and meetings with members of the constituency is crucial to contributing to the work. This is also important in enabling more effective outreach and engaging new members. I hope to be able to contribute on this front, and believe it is important to attend this policy driven meeting for the same.

4. Importance of continued engagement at ICANN Meetings: Being able to attend and participate in the meetings is an opportunity to learn more from constituency members, to support regular engagements and work with the constituency and finally provide sustainable conversations on policy with both regional and national stakeholders that engage with ICANN. This is particularly important for the non-commercial users that do not have the benefit of associations or unions like the commercial business community.

I was a remote participant in the ICANN 54 Meeting, and a part of the ICANN Fellowship Program at ICANN 55. Through the ICANN Fellowship I received a very broad and holistic understanding of the institution and its processes. This time I hope to participate in ICANN 56 and focus on NCUC meetings and engagements. The aim would be to learn through increased substantive engagements with members of the NCUC and contribute with research, literature and ideas that are relevant to the policy discussions.

A rough estimate of the travel support required is given below: (All figures are in USD).

Airfare from New Delhi to Helsinki: $ 800 - 1000 (Fares vary as travel dates grow nearer)
Lodging Expenses in Helsinki: $550 - 650 (AirBnB estimates. These work out to be more economical than hotels)
Visa Fees including Service charges : $ 90-100

Total = $1440-1750

I would be grateful for full funding to attend the ICANN Meeting in Helsinki, and hope to contribute to the constituency to the best of my abilities.

Thanks and regards

Gangesh