[NCUC-EC] PRIORITY: Proposed Response to the GNSO Review Team Statement

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Sun Sep 20 13:06:22 CEST 2015

Hi

I know most people here are not following this debacle but you should be aware of that Westlake, the consultancy hired to conduct the GNSO Review, has been pursued a consistent and malicious agenda of attacking NCUC.  They released their first draft of the report while we were on the ground in Singapore, without any opportunity for the community Review Team to see the text, and it was loaded full of misrepresentations and falsehoods about us that required a ten page letter to debunk (shared here 3 March and attached again).  Now subsequent to our rather contentious meeting with them in Buenos Aires, Westlake has pulled the same trick again, releasing a final report without any vetting with the Review Team that is loaded with fresh attacks on us and recommends that NCSG effectively move to the CSG model of having GNSO Council seats “wired” to constituencies rather than elected by the Stakeholder Group as a whole as the Board mandated in 2011.  https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/gnso-review-final-15sep15-en.pdf <https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/gnso-review-final-15sep15-en.pdf>  So once again we have to spend time dealing with this distracting and divisive nonsense.

Here is the transcript from last week's consultations on the GNSO Review. As you can see, it was rather contentious.
http://gnso.icann.org/en/meetings/transcript-gnso-review-16sep15-en.pdf <http://gnso.icann.org/en/meetings/transcript-gnso-review-16sep15-en.pdf>

Chuck Gomes of the Rgy SG has drafted a letter for the review team’s consideration questioning the last minute insertion by Westlake of Recommendation 23, which calls for wired council seats.  The RT will have another call tomorrow which you are most certainly welcome to attend,  Monday, 21 September from 16:00-17:00 UTC, Adobe Connect WITH AUDIO enabled: https://icann.adobeconnect.com/gnso-review/ <https://icann.adobeconnect.com/gnso-review/>.  The rush is because the Board is supposed to take up the Westlake report on 28 September.

I attach also my quickly thrown together suggested edits to Chuck’s text as NCUC’s rep on the RT.  I could not personally endorse his letter as written.

Any quick comments suggestions expressions of support etc most welcome.

Bill