[NCUC-EC] Urgent: Proposed Schedule for 2015 Election Cycle

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Fri Oct 23 10:17:43 CEST 2015

Hi

So now we have to do our election.  Normally we do the nominations etc in November and the voting and results December. Last year we did this:

November 3 - 16: Nominations submitted to ncuc-discuss
November 17 - 30: Candidates submit statements to ncuc-discuss
December 1 − 14: Election period
December 15: Results announced

On the one hand, we might want to give people a week to recover from Dublin and get their lives reorganized before launching the process, which would suggest a similar schedule. But on the one hand, I’d love to move it forward a week because I’m now split with NomCom work and it’d be otherwise useful to get the new team in place more quickly so they can tackle appointments and begin preparing for the NCPH meeting earlier etc.    Note also that no matter what we do, some of the cycle will happen at the same time as the IGF week. Can’t be helped, hopefully people will have a scrap of bandwidth for NCUC regardless.

So in the end, I guess I would propose we move it up a week, as follows:

Oct. 26 - Nov. 8: 	Nominations submitted to ncuc-discuss
Nov. 9-22: 		Candidates submit statements to ncuc-discuss
Nov. 23 - Dec. 6: 	Election period
Dec. 7: 			Results announced

The bylaws don’t require a EC vote on the election calendar, but I hope this meets with your approval.  Please let me know if you agree or think there’s a problem.  Absent strong objections I send out the boot up message on Monday.

I have not spoken to many of you about your intentions and whether you plan to stand again or make space for new blood.  What I do know is that

*the Europe slot is vacated by Stefi moving to Council
*Roy indicated earlier that due to challenges on the home front he would not seek reelection to the NA slot
*Grace has served two terms as the AF rep and is eligible for one more if she wants
*Joao has served one term as the LAC rep and is eligible for two more if he wants
*Zuan served a half term in 2013 (replacing Norbert) and a full term in 2015. The Bylaws say "Shall each serve no more than three consecutive terms,” so presumably he too would be eligible for two more if he wants.

In any event, people need to think about what they want to do.

Cheers

Bill