[NCUC-EC] [NCUC-DISCUSS] NCUC EC Elections - Voting Starts tomorrow 23 Nov 2015

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Tue Nov 24 15:55:18 CET 2015

Hi

> On Nov 24, 2015, at 9:52 AM, Tapani Tarvainen <tapani.tarvainen at effi.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Bill,
>
> Without digging into email archives, my recollection is that in 2013 I
> first made the voter list using 2-1-1 weights as per our bylaws, but
> you decided to use 4-2-1 instead on grounds of consistency with NCSG
> and precedent (apparently it had been done that way previously),

Right.  And nobody argued against it then or at any time since when the same thing’s been recurrently stated, which makes this little episode a bit unhelpful.  We should not be inconsistent with the NCSG charter, and one of the tasks for the Bylaws Team in revising will be to make sure we bring our procedures into alignment with it.  Until that is done we try to comform where we can.

> So, history and consistency with NCSG favours 4-2-1, bylaws say 2-1-1.
>
> The bylaws also say that
>
> "The Chair shall also: [...] Establish ballots for voting, for review
> by the EC"
>
> and
>
> "The Executive Committee shall have the following duties: [...]
> Approve all ballots for online elections"
>
> So, over to you and NCUC EC.

Nobody on the EC has opposed the practice previously and I’m not seeing anyone reversing course now.  If no objections are received by tomorrow morning CET I suggest we just get on with it, we’re already losing two days and Glen is waiting to send the ballots.  We will have a shortened election period this time so hopefully everyone will respond promptly when ballots are sent.  Please do check your spam folders to make sure that mail from tally at icann.org does not get stuck.

Thanks

Bill

William J. Drake
International Fellow & Lecturer