[NCUC-EC] Additional Travel Support Requests

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Fri Mar 6 15:26:20 CET 2015

Hi

Well, our new Travel Policy was well greeted, but is now getting a little bit of challenge.  We were thinking of it in relation to the three regular ICANN meetings, but now we’re getting requests from heavily involved volunteer colleagues seeking support for others related meetings.  Stephanie Perrin’s looking for some support to attend the upcoming Berlin group meeting in Seoul where data protection commissioners will discuss inter alia the upcoming WHOIS changes she’s been working on for us in the expert group (revised proposal forthcoming, turns out they’ll cover her plane ticket so we're just waiting to hear on her other charges).  And Now Ed Morris is looking for support to attend the upcoming accountability meeting in Istanbul (I can’t believe ICANN’s not covering the volunteers working on this).

On the general point: we can 1) stick with the longstanding NCUC practice and deal with such small requests on an ad hoc basis, keeping an eye on our general target for annual travel expenditures (we’d said $4,000 x 3 but of course can go a little higher if really merited, as long as PIR makes it annual contribution…would be helpful if CGI.br <http://cgi.br/> returned to being a supporter as well…); or 2) amend the policy statement on the website and inform everyone accordingly.  Personally, I worry that formalizing this could mean we get a flood of budget requests for meetings that are good and important but not central to our participation in ICANN, and then we would have to deal with explaining turn downs etc.  But I’m open minded if people feel the EC making decisions on a public list and reporting them in meeting minutes (as we will when we accumulate enough stuff to decide/announce) is insufficient.

On the specific case: we allocated $4,000 for Singapore and only awarded $2,000, so at the moment we have flexibility.  I think both Stephanie and Ed should be at the meetings they want to attend, they’re doing tons of stuff for us.  Ed is only asking for $800 but that allows no per diem and assumes el cheapo hotels, so I would prefer to offer him $1,000.

Thoughts?

Bill

William J. Drake
International Fellow & Lecturer