[NCUC-EC] FY 16 Budget Requests Due Saturday 28th

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Thu Feb 26 11:08:23 CET 2015

Hi

It’s budget request season and we have two days to send in regular requests.  Sorry for the late notice but a lot going on.  We need to move quickly.

For FY 14, I submitted a number of proposals that got funded.

https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=38045777 <https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=38045777>

Print Materials $2,000  Fast track

Print Materials $8000 Regular track

(we mostly didn’t use this—I’d wanted to do Issue Briefs and such but couldn’t get anyone to write anything.  We did however print brochures.)

Policy Conference $11,000 Regular track

(this become the conference about NETmundial we did in Singapore early 2014, although staff increased the budget after negotiations with Fadi)

New EC Retreat  $6,950 Regular Track

(we did a one day meeting in Singapore for the new EC…paid for plane tix, hotel, room)

IGF Bali supplemental  $8,000
(two NCUC slots)

IGF Bali  $12,000
(one slot each for NCSG, NCUC, NPOC…once again carrying them in the form of a funded NCSG WS, and no thanks.  The following year Rafik submitted this one)

For FY 15, I only asked for IGF funds.

FY15-11-NCUC-Workshops & related outreach at the IGF meeting in Istanbul, September 2014.pdf <https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/47256360/FY15-11-NCUC-Workshops%20&%20related%20outreach%20at%20the%20IGF%20meeting%20in%20Istanbul,%20September%202014.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1394222266000&api=v2>
https://community.icann.org/display/projfinadhocws/GNSO+-+FY15+Additional+Budget+Requests <https://community.icann.org/display/projfinadhocws/GNSO+-+FY15+Additional+Budget+Requests>

(The standard request that has worked is two slots, one for the chair and one for an additional person who needs to be there for the workshops.)

So now we have to decide what to submit for FY 16, immediately.

IGF:

I intend to propose two NCUC workshops to the IGF per usual.  I want to do one on the role of governments in the governance of domain names and numbers (in other words, about the GAC, but it can’t say that in the title because last year some US biz campaigned in the MAG against CS proposals that were framed as ICANN-centric, which was suddenly “too narrow” for the IGF.    I believe I can get government co-sponsors and more, which should make it hard to refuse.

I’ve not started to think about a second WS proposal (they’re due at IGF 29 March).  I understood from some private messages that a couple of you may be thinking about doing things.  If so, did you want to submit them formally as NCUC, or under your own names/affiliations?  If NCUC, then we should discuss immediately so that I can mention the topic in the budget submission.  This is not strictly necessary, but I believe it helps with the accounting dept. if we have a clear concept in mind.

Other:

We could ask for money to organize a conference.  Based on our successes in Singapore, Toronto and San Francisco, Hogarth submitted for the current year a proposal to make regular funding available to any takers ‘based on the NCUC experience” which I’d hoped the NCPH would take advantage of in BA, but to be honest I see no movement on the part of CSG despite multiple statements of support (not a peep from NPOC of course).  We might still consider asking for a little money to do a workshop of our own in BA, but looking beyond that, we could ask for an own allocation.  Or we could just see if staff keeps a general pool on which we can draw.

Is there anything else we would want to seek funding for?  The retreat was useful but didn’t really lead to much action or engagement within the EC, so I’m not sure I want to dilute our political capital here asking to do that again.

Print: if anyone was seriously interested in the book idea I floated in Singapore, we could ask for funding for project support.  But I don’t know whether enough people would be really willing and able to write, and being on my sixth edited book project now which is dragging painfully, I’m not sure I want to take on herding cats and badgering people to submit material.

So right now my inclination is just to submit an IGF request, but I’m open to persuasion.

Please let me know.

Bill