[NCUC-EC] civil society in ICANN - description

Rafik Dammak rafik.dammak at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 12:55:09 CET 2015

Hi Joao,

caribe at entropia.blog.br>:

> Rafik and other EC members, I reiterate my candidacy as representative of
> the NCUC to this CS project, had already come into contact with Adam, soon
> after the meeting of Dublin, offering to join the project team. I believe I
> have strong experience on this issue to do a good job.
>
> my understanding from Adam is there is no  one rep per se but a group for
coordination (a specific mailing list to be created as shared during the
last webinar)

I suggest a simple task to solve this input:

> We need to map the main characteristic of any of this: At-Large, NPOC and
> NCUC (GROUPS)
>
> What are the main similarities and differences of these GROUPS on:
>      1) Participation  at ICANN ecosystem.

ALAC is an advisory committee (providing advices to board) covering broader
range of topics regarding numbering and addressing. having broad range of
topics may confuse people since many may think that ALAC can cover
all-things internet with many not within ICANN remit
while we are focusing in gTLD policies and currently on ICANN structure and
accountability because the iana transition process .  we can provide
concrete examples as we did in several NCUC outreach session in ICANN
meetings

>      2) Engagement needs (E.G. NCUC accept individuals, At-Large just
> NGOs, etc)
>
> NCUC accepts individuals and non-commercial organizations (NFP, NGO,
associations, foundations, advocacy group, universities etc)

> This map would support to answer simple questions of potential candidates,
> e.g.
>      How you plan to participate in ICANN?
>       a) Building polices of gTLD, IP and other GNSO ISSUES >> GNSO
>
>      On GNSO what are your focus in human rights? Operational procedures
> or  Human rights at all ? >> NPOC or NCUC

NCUC is not just about Human Rights, but rights of registrants and users in
general. also we need to be careful to not entertain the myth that NCUC is
only for individual users. we are quite open and our criteria about having
non-commercial interests.

for example we covered issues related to new gTLD program because it would
have impact on registrants in general .

> We can work better mapping the similarities and differences of these
> GROUPS.
>
> At-Large does a great job on this issues, their slides and folders are
> very easy and instructive for newcomers.

I would prefer avoiding comparison against ALAC, we don't have the same
nature, staffing and mission . let's focus on our work while learning from
other best practices. yes we can create similar material but it means that
we have to work on that by ourselves. the ICANN CS strategy includes some
support but up to us to create the content and substance. for example we
have our website which can be revamped but also needs more content such as
blog posts and briefs.
it will be useful to have some slide deck when can use for outreach
presentations.

for reminder, we can have additional print-out for marrakech meeting in
addition to the flyer ( edited by Farzaneh)

Finally we need to improve our NCUC communication strategy, will send
> suggestions early on January.

Thanks, looking forward to get the plan.

Best,

Rafik